or Connect

Posts by zebu

So true.   I want to start out by saying that I haven't even read through the first page and this thread is huge and I hope that isn't an indicator that you got a huge thrashing, VisionaryMom.  I am not here to thrash, but to offer some advice.   I grew up upper middle class and am currently living an upper middle class lifestyle.  I've had many many years here, is all I'm saying, so I've learned a few things.    Wine.  I used to worry that I would make a fool out of...
 so right!   When I read the reply about how moms are technically bio-moms after all, I'm like, yeah, but when I pick up my kid from preschool, he doesn't yell, 'bio mom! Bio mom!!' as he's running for me.   And I won't accept "skids" as an innocent, oh I didn't know how that sounded, abbreviation.    That abbreviation doesn't need an explanation as to why it is offensive. It is meant to be offensive.     And even if i had major issues with my step kids, I can't imagine...
I think it would be beneficial for them to be away from any step parent that refers to them as "skids," regardless of what country they will reside in or length of time away.  
So, the bolded part - is this what you were ragey about?  Because the ragey tone in your original post were directed toward your son's low-key style of play.  Can you see why we would be confused?   Here is a quote from your OP: (bolding is mine)   "This problem bothers me at many levels. 1) It is not healthy that he doesn't get any regular exercise at all, and exercising as part of self-care and wellness is a very important value of mine that I want to pass on to my...
OP, I hope we haven't scared you away, because I can maybe, kind of, sort of relate in a way.   But first, if you have a problem with your son liking only the swing at the playground, then that is a problem with you being over-critical.  If you have a problem with men who prefer quieter activities over athletics, then you are being over-critical.  I've looked up some of your old posts.  If you feel like there's always something about your boy needs to be fixed, then...
  Your mom really turned her nose up at a nice purse just because it wasn't Coach?   Oh, this reminds me, someone asked for a pair of really nice slippers for Christmas, because the cheaper ones he's been buying haven't lasted very long or there has been this or that problem with them.  So I think, "ok, I can manage that."  I find a pair of UGGS that I think are really nice and they come at around $100.  Christmas morning comes around and he's very happy with his new...
    I decided to organize a group gift where anyone can contribute whatever they wanted and it ended up being thousands less than a trip like the one he wanted.  He was still happy with his gift, so that's good.      
NiteNicole, I'm really sorry you're going through all that.  This is one of my fears surrounding this issue.  Just because we have this income now, doesn't mean it's a sure thing a 5, 10, 20 years from now.  And I want to be able to retire some day, ya know?    I'm just waiting for the day that MIL is no longer able to leach of her parents and the family will expect us to take care of her.  It's already happening.  We haven't spent anything on her, but people are...
There is a little bit of this discussion going on in the other thread and I thought it might be good to start a seperate thread so the other thread doesn't get too far off-topic.   So I'm relatively new to having a higher household income and I'm learning how to navigate relationships with certain people who have less who feel that we should be able to afford them things.  This issue really hit me this Christmas season, because the list of gift ideas some people sent...
I find this thread very interesting, because I am on the other end of the spectrum.  I have more money than certain family members and it seems that it doesn't matter how much more, it's just means that more is more and that means they feel entitled to it.  It's only a few people, but it makes me feel very ungenerous toward them, because they expect me to cover meals out, hotels, etc.  In fact, for several weeks I've been thinking about starting a thread about it, to see...