or Connect

Posts by Fillyjonk

Just something else I'd like to point out. Some of the practices people are objecting to are actually fairly common in same-gender sexual practice, and they are things that I'd say same gender orientated teens need to be aware of. Including their risks, because some of these practices are more risky than others and do carry a higher risk of STD transmission, primarily among males. YK, these practices that maybe seem a bit exotic and OTT to some, are just part of life for...
"Good grief - as a GP in the UK, I can say that I sincerely hope the 'you take what you get' attitude is unusual among doctors! No, you can't just walk in and expect to get whatever medication you ask for in the same way as you would expect to get the items you order from a shop, because the doctor is going to take medical appropriateness and, yes, cost-effectiveness into account. But a doctor certainly should be discussing the pros and cons of different options with you,...
"Don't you think it's interesting that whenever the subject of education comes up, people feel it is totally fine to question WHY you homeschool? "   Do you know, its really not been my experience that people often question it in anything but a broadly nice, curious way. I mean, if I discovered someone had a pet elephant, which is about how unusual hsing is where I live, I'd be very interested and would ask questions.    I truly do not mind answering questions. I'm not...
Hiya rumi. Yeah just posting a request would probably have worked but I am in a very different set up to the US i think. Round here, although actually I would say most hsers are moderately to extremely religious, hsing did not gain momentum through religious people at all, tbh John Holt is probably one of the main iinfluences because he used to be pretty much required reading on our teacher training programs. Its rare for a group not to be unschooling friendly unless its a...
"I think they've just revamped the software to get more flexibility in meeting kids at their current working level and interests. So maybe that wouldn't be a problem any more."   My daughter was using it tonight after a bit of a break. They now have a placement test which might help with this a bit. Also, neither of my kids went in at the beginner level after the test, and just based on what they did tonight, which was just whatever took their fancy, the suggestions...
"It's also not the greatest idea, writ large, for the child's future personality. Should we really teach them to roll with unfairness? Really? "   Well yes, I do think they should be able to roll with a little unfairness. Its just about having a bit of perspective. Life isn't fair, you pick your battles. You work out what really needs dealing with and you deal with that. The whole point about rolling with a little unfairness is that its not writ large. Its a little...
that is great news!   Not for the first time, I do think its a lot less formal round here. Round here someone would just have on fb or yahoo or whatever, said "hi, I'm a secular unschooler, anyone want to meet in the park?".
 thanks. The trouble is, we've already been through this to some extent, in that he'd have really liked to try out primary (pre 12) school in order to see how much he liked it. No spaces at all, we've applied for a place each year for around three years now. It can be a real problem in UK schools actually. My 8 year old would really like to just try school too but-you just can't do that. If you don't get in at age 4 (yes) or then at age 11, that's it really. On the...
My kids really like it. They don't use it sequentially though. If there's an idea they want to know more about, or if they are struggling with a concept, they would use it.   I am studying science at university level and I use it occasionally for math help. I think its very good if you are interested in a topic. Not sure how it would work to replace a curriculum though, but that's only because we've never done it like that.   My kids also really, really like some...
"If the kids fight with each other, I might suggest that they hug each other."     Seriously? For real? That works in your house? Because when my kids are fighting, the last thing they want to do is hug each other. In fact, I think it would be a little insulting to them to suggest that they did. But maybe that's just my kids.   I'm glad it works for you, but honestly, plenty of us have tried the whole gentle explaining thing and our kids still push the...