or Connect

Posts by Fillyjonk

I do know where you are coming from about having a child in school but really feeling like homeschoolers. All mine went to a local Waldorf kindergarten a few hours a week to age 7. At the same time, I spent the other two/three mornings and all afternoons doing other home/unschooling stuff, attending groups, etc. Our local kindergarten used to be a very cool, chilled place where kids pretty much dropped in and out as they wanted, it was very cheap and there was no academic...
chocolove, good to hear your story. My inlaws are still in the "denial" phase, I think. They know that the kids don't do much sit down work. The kids see them for a week every two months on average, and skype them at least once a week, so there's no real way to pretend we do anything other than we do, though we have a don't ask don't tell policy. I think what annoys me is that for my inlaws, both retired teachers, school is the gold standard and literally, whatever we do,...
well, my kids are all pretty outgoing but all three were shy at age 4.5. No way could I have left them at a co op or anything. But now . They will stay pretty much anywhere with anyone as long as they know what's going on. By that i mean, they are sensible and safe, but they will do a class, or Scouts, or be dropped off at a party or playdate without any problems. I couldn't do that before age 5, but my oldest now is rising 6 and absolutely no problems at all. We do...
ah the "no" thing. I do say no, after starting off never saying it. But nowadays I use it when appropriate. For a lot of reasons. First, my son just glazes over and doesn't hear long explanations. He was actually better when he was little but more recently, he's actually said "can you just say yes or no, please?". Also, if I give an explanation and its not popular, it seems to give rise to debate. And there are times I'm not up for debate, there are times things just have...
I have a slightly different perspective here. I'd first add the caveat that it really depends on the exact article. I think some articles are obviously inflammatory, and some are far more diplomatic, far more focused on doing what is right for your child. I am sure I can think of articles which stress no early teaching - that's effectively what John Holt says in Learning All The Time iirc- but don't suggest that you're going to screw up your kid's brain wiring if you let...
yes, to clarify, I was following on from my previous post which was trying to give an idea of how I understand RU to characterise non-RU systems. There was a disclaimer in there that there are many different ideas about what is and what isn't RU. My issue is really with the way some RU writers criticise non-RU parents and their dire predictions of our kids futures re cleaning, screens and sweeties.     I have no problem at all with anyone following RU. I really believe...
I think there is an issue in cleaning around who decides how clean something should be. I expect we're all familiar with that. I'm kind of ok to some extent with the idea that if I want something extra clean, a room sorted, or whatever, its really my responsibility to get it done. But I think there probably is also a baseline standard for cleanliness-perhaps something that each family needs to negotiate together- and to me its reasonable that everyone is expected to...
actually flecet, if you are coming from a Muslim pov I apologise, I'm reasonably familiar with the Muslim way of thinking on heaven and hell and in that context what you are saying makes a lot more sense to me.    I had initially assumed you were coming from a Muslim pov but then something in one of your posts made me change my mind and think it was not only a Christian but an evangelical Christian perspective. So I was responding with that in mind, with the erroneous...
flecet, just to say, I think those are really insightful questions. I don't have the answers, which is why I am on the fence of unschooling. We really work with what works for our kids and our family, as I can see from your other post that you do.    My first though re the cleaning. Well, tbh, I don't think its very hard to clean. I don't think it would take the average kid long to actually learn the process of cleaning, how to break down the task, etc, if they were...
Ok, thanks for clarifying. The way I take your post though is that you believe my kids are going to hell...but are too polite to say so, and that I should extend the same courtesy to you re swimming. Now I think the issue is one of degree, tbh. I think saying that your kids might be at greater risk of drowning is really pretty different to saying that our kids are going to hell. If for no better reason than that, especially in Arizona, you are talking about a...