or Connect

Posts by Fillyjonk

Ok. I'm going to respectfully point out that there are atheists, including myself, on this board and also that this is a non-religious board. Even as an atheist, the suggestion that my kids are going to hell is really not one I appreciate. I kind of see the point you are trying to make, but I don't think this is a good analogy to use. I'm sorry if you've had negative experiences around choosing for your kids not to learn to swim. I do think there is a difference between...
hmm re the screen time. I think the first point I'd make is that unlimited screen time is not something all unschoolers subscribe to. My understanding is that its radical/ whole life unschoolers who place no limits on screens, on food, etc.    I also think, personally, if you don't think unlimited screens will work for your kid, just don't do it! Or ease into it. There are no rules and certainly this forum has a wide spectrum of unschoolers.    My feeling about screens...
ah veronika robinson...I think she's great, she has strong opinions, almost none of which I agree (and I really do wish she was not so utterly judgmental about so many things) with but I admire her for trying to live a life without hypocrisy. At the same time though I'd see her as "guru", someone with an income invested in her lifestyle, and also, someone who tends to put a positive spin on absolutely everything. She's a UK unschooler so I know people who know her (small...
bon26, interesting post "He suggests that children naturally go through certain phases: young kids are drawn towards playing and learning right from wrong, slightly older children develop a "love of learning" and inhale information at lightening speed and then the older ones (usually teens) become so devoted to their studies that they are willing to commit to full days of studying and personal accountability with minimal adult direction."   I'm...
triscut this MIGHT be region specific advice. I've said before where I am our laws are much more lenient than any US state laws I've seen re HSing, and religious HSing is kind of a minority movement, and I think that tends to make British HSers far more flexible but...   My experience was that people changed a lot over time. People who started out as diehard "my kid will work 3 hours a day" hsers often become much more relaxed, and vice versa. There's a lot of people I...
I think "no uninvited teaching" is a great way to put it.    One approach I come across from time to time is the "autonomous" one. Now that's an evolving term, I think. In the UK, what we called "autonomous" used to be basically what you guys called "unschooling", I think-except we never had different flavours of "autonomous". So autonomous was not incompatible with using textbooks, though at the same time I'd say it was rare (we also, I think, tend to have a default...
can't get my head round this prom thing. We don't have proms. Well we do but they are something VERY different. Why is it such a big deal? Presumably HS'd kids can still go to the prom as an invitee, and presumably HSers can throw their own proms? So why the big deal?
I think GD can cause wild kids. I think my kids are fairly wild, in that they are quite untamed, very self directed. I'm quite happy with that. There is an extent to which, IMO, GD is explictly about allowing kids more freedom to be kids and be a bit untamed and I think that can certainly mean that at some stages, a GD kid is less well behaved than a non-GD kid.    Kids will vary so much in this. Some kids "get" empathy at an early age. Others don't.  I've posted...
Its funny, isn't it? My kids are all quite happy to make mistakes, actually, certainly when they are invested in the outcome they don't tend to see it as a problem. But my 8 year old is far, far more willing to pick herself up and try again after an unexpected setback. My 10 year old is much more likely to get overcome by frustration and throw the project to the corner of the room for a day. OTOH he is also the kid who will take himself off of a morning with a stack of...
Attendance for unschoolers? Love it.    We don't have any requirements at all really. We have to provide a "suitable and efficient full time education according to the age and aptitude of the child" (I'm misquoting off the top of my head but that's the gist). That has been established to cover unschooling very well. But the best bit is that the legal onus is not on us to demonstrate that we are providing that education but for the state to show, beyond reasonable doubt,...