or Connect

Posts by Fillyjonk

If you are doing it, then it exists as a style of HSing! Seriously, there are no right and wrongs here. If you mean, can it work to unschool for everything except the basics, then yes, I'd actually say (funnily enough) that that's how most British homeschoolers I know tend to work. (we have almost no legal requirements around homeschooling, and the law almost sees unschooling as the default) . Give it a try!    (i am a Londoner too-if there are any specific resources...
thanks :-) that was my initial assumption but-why then are most diseases in adults less serious? 
Hmm we might have to agree to disagree on the air filter. I think its optimistic to believe a car filter is making much difference, even if you have the air con on routinely which we don't. Also, while particulate matter is a problem, and that could to some extent be filtered out with a good filter, its not the only problem with the air you're breathing on a motorway/ freeway (?) (I mean the fast intercity roads). You have high concentrations of nitrogen and sulfur...
How do they filter air? My car doesn't, afaik, I mean it might if I have the air con on, I'm not sure, but its pretty rare for it to be hot enough to warrant that.  Also, like I say. Yes, the cyclist will be breathing more heavily and so breathe more polluted air. But the passenger will not be. A kid on the bike will be breathing as heavily as a kid in a car.  If we are looking at straightforward breathing polluted air. When I had my kids on the bike I could get many miles...
really agree with smartmama here-I'd have a conversation with her   I think at 7, this is a good age for her to be becoming aware of how best she learns, of what she needs, becoming aware that she can be in control of this. I think that's more important than how her math is progressing, because there is an extent to which math is not something you learn and then its done but something you have to revisit and revisit over and over again. There's an extent that I'd say...
I'm just curious, from a scientific perspective.      I thought adult immune systems were generally stronger and more robust than young kid ones, so I'm interested in why the diseases should be more dangerous in adulthood.    (and can I say, I so appreciate having a space where I feel i can ask this!)   TIA x
I don't agree that fume level is illusory. Fume particles are heavier than air and so will hang around nearer the ground. The concentration of them will be higher at trailer height, simply because its lower. Physical chemistry. I think what is illusory is a belief that we somehow don't inhale pollution if we are inside the car. We do. (the cyclist might inhale more because they are breathing more heavily, but a passenger would not).    The issue for trailers with us is...
ack. If I find anything, will let you know. I think there's a real gap in the market for self teaching books aimed at this kind of age group. The problem we have is one that I suspect is quite common to users -my son is reading at whatever level (he can read anything afaik), his math, science, general knowledge seems good from what I can see. A few weeks ago he worked through the revision topics for our tests for 11 year olds (yes, we have tests for 11 year olds) on the...
Smartmama-how old are your kids, if you don't mind me asking? 
It sounds as though it would not be a good idea for someone to cycle with a baby where you are, and that as an experienced cyclist you have made that assessment. That's totally valid.    That doesn't make cycling with a baby on your back risky and it certainly doesn't make cycling with the kid in a sling any riskier than in a trailer or a bike seat. It reinforces the idea that as a cycling parent you need to make a judgement call about whether your route is safe to take...