or Connect

Posts by sstripp2020

Hello Hong Kong Moms--   Does anyone have any experience with homeschooling in HK?  My husband may be transferring there.  We are currently homeschooling our four children here in the US and would most certainly like to continue when we go abroad.  I understand that it is illegal but that expats are sometime granted the rights to do so...  There seems to be one meet up group there for homeschoolers but I have not yet gotten any more information.     Thank you!
I loved Karen Andreola's books on a Charlotte Mason education.  I never read CMs complete and original works myself but felt that Andreola did a beautiful job in her books and I found them very enjoyable to read.
We also use Math Mammoth.  I did not buy it through the Home School Buyers Coop because I believe that you had to buy all elementary grades and I was not sure it would work for us, although had I been sure, it would be a much better deal!   I love the curriculum.  We started with Math U See this year and it did not work for us at all (although the manipulatives are great).  FYI there are also review workbooks that you can get.  I bought the review 2nd grade book so that...
I think this is some great advice.  My two older kids both went to preschool.  When we transitioned home, it was hard for my daughter initially because she had made some friends in school that she no longer got to see and we did not have strong homeschool bonds yet.  She will be going into third grade next year and she no longer mentions wanting to go to school because we have lost touch with many of those friends and have made many more that are homeschoolers.   I think...
Oh these look so great.  Now what about the east coast?  Any ideas?
Take a deep breath.  We all go into homeschooling with lots of questions, lots of plans, and sometimes very little guidance.  I did not know a single soul who homeschooled before we started to do it and I was so scared.  I latched on to Charlottle mason homeschooling and just went for it.  We are in our third year now and how gone through so many different iterations--from Charlotte Mason-school at homers, to unschoolers, to now eclectic classical home schoolers.  My point...
This was such a neat question, I thought I would answer it for us, even though we are not unschoolers.   Our style of homeschooling--a hodgepodge of Charlotte Mason/ classical and Waldorf--came to us by trial and error.  We started off very schooly and then relaxed into it a bit and landed where we are now.  I know lots of unschoolers--ones who decided that it is exactly what was right for them based on their own children and how schooling could work for their family and...
We are not homeschooling veterans--only in our third year now.  My daughter, 8, is very extroverted.  She attended preschool and made some great friends there and then struggled for a year or so before we made some close homeschooling friends.   Now that we have been doing this for a little while, I find that we are less dependent on outside friends, although they are still very important to us, and closer as a family.  I have a 6 year old boy and a four year old boy and...
Hi There-- Welcome to the world of homeschooling (possibly)!  We are only three years in so I am no expert, but I love to read and have read loads of homeschooling books.  What types of books are you looking for?  Instruction books?  There are so many good ones...  Have you read Heaven on Earth by Sharifa Oppenheimer?  Not a homeschooling book per se but a heat one to get you started with Waldorf Education.  I am reading Dumbing Us Down and Hold on to Your Kids right now,...
I have a 7 year old, a 6 year old, a 4 year old, and a newborn, and I have to say, it has been a little more of a challenge than I anticipated but not much.  I am a little more tired than I remember being and I find that (of course) as long as I have thought the morning through, it goes pretty smoothly.  The baby usually takes one really long nap in the morning and that is when I get most of the work done with the older two.  And then there are those days that I have a...