or Connect

Posts by YummyYarnAddict

Quote: Originally Posted by dogmom327 Sorry I was typing fast this morning I was actually responding to you post where I thought it said you were using 1/4-1/3 cup sugar per half gallon of water and 1 cup of grains. That wouldn't be enough sugar. Sorry about that! Actually I said that I start with rapadura and sucanat and use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of each per half gallon which would be 1/2 to 2/3c of sugar per half gallon. I've been making water...
Quote: Originally Posted by dogmom327 You need more sugar. 1/2 cup to brew a half gallon. Chances are your grains aren't getting enough to eat and are reacting badly. It might take a couple of batches with the adequate amount of sugar for them to recover. Something else to try--use organic white sugar instead of succanat, molasses, etc. It yields a different flavor. I'm curious... how can you tell how much sugar she's using in her water...
Honestly? I wish I had the money to give to you. Reading your responses and thoughtfulness tells me that you're a caring, sincere person who will make a difference and I would consider the gift to be an investment in our society's future. As for receiving an email like that, for me it would depend on who was sending it, but as a rule of thumb, they don't bother or offend me and if I have the money to give, I give it freely. It's not easy for me to ask for any type of...
Thanks! Good to know I wasn't "missing something" by having it take forever. One website said that it took 1.5hrs on the stove top and mine went for a good 6 hours at least. I cut it sorta smallish, but not teeny tiny as I definitely could have gone smaller or let it go semi-frozen and tossed it in the blender as one site suggested, but I didn't feel a need to get that "fancy" my first time out! Besides, I figured the cracklins would be good eats for the kids with...
Thank you for all of your thoughtful input misscroissant! I've been out of pocket for a bit since I had surgery a few weeks ago and am trying to catch up now. I'm thrilled to see this information here! I have had a few more exchanges with NACD and have had a few "heart to hearts" with our current therapists. As I mentioned previously, the only "real life" input I'd had from the parental side is through a friend of a friend, but she's reliable and is a huge fan and...
I've never fermented juice, but for a cup of my water kefir grains (I think there are some variations), I use about half a gallon of water or so. We usually have two half gallons going at any given time with "kid water kefir" and "mommy water kefir" (though the kids help themselves to the "mommy" water kefir!). Both of them start with rapadura and sucanat. I'm not one for measuring, but it's probably about 1/4 to 1/3 c of each. Then for the mommy water kefir, I put in...
With regard to cost, I found that it definitely pays to shop around. I also found that the best time to buy new was at the end of the fiscal quarter. I was all set to buy a 5.5 cubit foot chest freezer for about $200 that would have just done the trick for my family of 3 (me and 2 kids), when I started asking lots of questions in the appliance department and compared freezers. The salesman ran some numbers and told me that if I was willing to pay for the freezer that day...
The farmer I get soy-free eggs from got a bunch of new egg layers a few weeks ago and they're laying eggs like crazy! In fact, he had a BOGO free and I bought 20 dozen about 3 weeks ago. He's certified organic and has 100% grass fed beef and since he goes through the trouble of growing his own organic peas to provide soy-free poultry and eggs, I and the others who buy from him really trust him. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of breakfast sausage but the kids love it. I just...
AWESOME thread! Thanks for starting this! I had surgery just after Rosh Hashanah and before Yom Kippur so I've been offline for a bit and am happy to see this when I come back. TF and keeping kosher has been quite the challenge. I haven't tried any ferments yet, but keep saying I'm going to give it a go. Getting 100% grass fed meat is really important to me and living in a town with very very few Jews, makes getting kosher meat extremely difficult. Before gas prices...
Hmm... can you share what you're doing thus far? What's your ratio of grains to water? How much sugar are you using and what kind(s) of sugar are you using? How long are you letting it ferment? Are you putting anything else in there? The alcohol taste may indicate that you have too many grains for the amount of water or that you need to add more sugar or that it's fermenting too long as the grains "eat" the sugar and then continue to ferment which is the point at which...