or Connect

Posts by 1stTimeMummytoLore

Mr. Q's Classic Science has a student text reading, an experiment and an activity per week over 9 units of 4 weeks each. His Life Science program is free, so you can look at that to get a feel for hsi style. Then he has Chemistry, Earth/Space Science and Physical Science for purchase. (For a reasonable price IMHO, compared to some of the alternatives.) www.eequalsmcq.com We're just starting the chemistry this year and enjoying it so far. When we want more reading...
There's also Guest Hollow which has printables with cute border designs. http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschoo...rintables.html
I got this from someone else (like a majority of any homeschooler's cool ideas) but on our first day, the kids get to set the menu all day. this year, they chose pasta salad for breakfast, bread and butter and edamame for lunch and raisin-stuffed hotdogs with mini carrots for dinner (don't ask.) i also give DD1 her own calendar (now a planner) and this year a monogrammed spelling notebook (read: pink and purple journal from the dollar section at Michael's with her...
well my twins are 3yo now and i still struggle with some events of their birth and some of my decisions, so i understand. hopefully, we'll both find the peace we're looking for at some point!
i think what some of us trying to say is that the moms here have a wide variety of twin birth experiences. we have moms who are NICU veterans and learned the hard way how to meld high medical intervention with AP/NFL ideals after giving birth at 29 weeks. we have moms who gave birth to their twins at 40-42+ weeks. we have moms who had unmedicated, in hospital OB-attended births. we have moms who had scheduled c-sections for many different reasons. we have moms who had...
shukr- you've gotten some great advice and here's a big for you! have you by any chance checked their weights/growth patterns vs. the WHO's breastfed child growth chart? i found that this helped me boost my confidence within the first 6mo with my twins and their growth. i also have a 5yo who isn't even on the 2nd percentile curve as far as height, so i understand the growth worry. but i think the developmental milestones they are hitting are *very* good signs! ...
we're hitting the terra cotta warriors in august while they are here. thanks for the reminder about the ms. frizzle book. we love her. also- if anyone tried to wrap art history into their history studies, the Metropolitian Museum of Art has a great online art history timeline that you can search by time period and geographic region. it has images of art from wherever and whenever you choose, along with some great articles.
i get what some of the PPs are saying and agree in theory. but i remember how hard it was to actually invest in my marriage during that first year. it was all i could do to survive. so for me, it was easier said than done to try not to get mad when my DH said stupid stuff like that. if i was in your shoes, i would especially have a hard time with his comments given the fact that he's getting your personal attention from 11p to 1a every night. the first thing out of...
Story of One was a great one off Netflix for us-- it explores the roots of mathematics mostly in ancient history (so vol. 1) but through modern day to computers and binary also. I have others for vol. 1, but I'll have to dig up titles. Thanks for the link to the WTM thread with the Middle Ages suggestions.
Someone else started a "share your resources" thread for Ancient History, so I thought it would be fun to start one for those of us gearing up for the Middle Ages. My eldest is elementary school aged, but we often end up using resources across levels. And I like to have HS/adult resources for me to learn alongside them. So any level resources are welcome! We're going to use SOTW vol. 2 and the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History for our main spines. Then we're...