or Connect

Posts by 1stTimeMummytoLore

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums...ead.php?t=1252 For those of you who use the Challenging Word Problem books as part of your Singapore Math work at home, they are going OOP next year. This came directly from the publisher's discussion forum.
homeschooling is precisely what has rekindled the flame for me and led me back to loving the process of learning. my institutional school experiences snuffed it out a loooong time ago. but i'm thrilled that i'm back and burning brighter than ever. hence one of the reasons i hope to facilitate my children avoiding institutional school during their learning journey.
ok- OT, but I had to laugh about the comment about mangos tasting pine-ish. I've never been able to nail down what it was that bothered me about the flavor of a mango before. But now it has all clicked for me and you're totally right! So thanks for that as well as for sharing glimpses into your homeschooling this week. we have been in a few co-ops and i agree that the 7-wk thing is nice from the teacher perspective vs. a whole year. it's a great deal easier to...
I would suggest contacting the secular group that is an hour away from you and seeing if there are any members that actually live much closer to you. If they have an email loop, you could ask them to ask any member in your neck of the woods to contact you. We belong to one group that is technically based in one place, but has members spread across two counties, so you never know. Just because the group is based out of one place, doesn't mean there isn't someone you...
we're classically rooted, or WTM inspired or whatever you want to call it. mine's in my siggy-- The Diosa Dotada Endeavor. we've been known to fall down rabbit holes, er, uh i mean follow bunny trails on occassion though. if you want a blow-your-mind kind of WTM/calssical blog, try Trivium Academy.
LOL! When she was first putting it together, she was combining a History curriculum with a Literature curriculum (independent of the History part) at the same time! I had forgotten about that b/c we left that part out completely here at our house and just used the history. FWIW, we actually went through and found high-quality adaptations of literature actually associated with the Ancients and used that instead (like Mary Pope Osborne's Tale's from the Odyssey and such.)
If you're interested in using the classical ed cycle of studying history and want to start with the Ancients, you might want to look over April Duritza's free downloadable Mosaics program Myths, Maps and Marvels. She has a version that is secular and starts with prehistory and evolution and moves through the fall of the Roman Empire. We've enjoyed it very much this year. I purchased some of the additional resources she recommends and the main spines, but many of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by tuffykenwell Here is an entire math curriculum for free http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm There are certain areas that are password protected but you can just email them and ask for a password (explain that you are a homeschooler....they are very accomodating). HTH Steph There is also a good Yahoo Group for homeschoolers using this program. All the passwords are already loaded in the...
Here's another free science program I like. This is a good one if you've got more than one grade level going at a time too. She also has oodles of other downloadable goodies too.
i agree that the recycling programs leave something to be desired. we have to take ours in, but we have found drop off points that will take everything. usually the curbside programs are pretty selective. also, to be crunchy/green in this area is to be in the minority yes. but i haven't found a problem finding a community where my kids and I feel comfortable and well-supported in our lifestyle choices-- (organic/local, i'm vegetarian, but the rest of my fam is not...