or Connect

Posts by 1stTimeMummytoLore

for me, it depends on the audience. stranger in the grocery store check-out line just asking to be chatty and polite-- then we just go with PS age-grade correspondence. someone who has found out we homeschool and seems genuinely interested in learning more-- then I take the time to explain that the lockstep age-grade progression thing is one of the reasons we've choosen to opt out of the system and meet our kids' needs at whatever academic level they are at in...
(hi alegna!) uh. i happen to think its a great area! (wonder why??) let me see if I can hit the highlights. for one thing-- which area of Richmond are you looking at? closer to Katy, TX (south of I-10) or closer to between Sugar Land and Rosenberg (off US-59)? there are some good inclusive/non-religious HS group options, farmer's markets that run year round, co-ops and CSAs, a good natural history museum, a great family friendly art museum, a cooler than cool...
wow! that's so great that your family is so supportive that they even help out!
We are using Peak With Books and we are very happy with it. Rainbow Resource carries it as does Amazon. A frined of mine just scored it off Amazon in great used condition for around $7! Also, for great picture books, check the Caldecott winners list. There are lots of online ideas about using them as a loose frame to hang a curriculum on. As far as classic read-alouds that haven't been mentioned yet there's also Heidi, The Ordinary Princess, and Aesop's Fables.
we go year round so I'm fine with leaving it as is. I would be happy to switch to a later date in the schedule if someone else wraps up in May and takes a long break for the summer.
kittywitty, I hope you don't mind. we had a lovely day today and I wanted to share, so I started a new Homeschool Along thread here.
We belong to one group that does seem to retain more experienced homeschoolers, but the pattern of participation is still very similar to what many have mentioned. They come to park days to play and special events. Many of them have several kiddos and lots to get done. In addition to any lessons at home, these kids may be playing a sport, dancing (some in a company already,) playing an instrument, in a theater troop, etc. So a great deal of time is already booked just...
I hope kittywitty doesn't mind if I start a new thread for now. Just jump in and tell us about your day if you'd like. Today DD1 did Mind Bender puzzles for most of the early morning and a little quiet reading all on her own in her bedroom to escape her younger twin siblings who were seriously wound up. Then I taught botany class for a few of our friends in on of our HS groups. We talked about wild and wacky flowers-- ones that don't fit the mold as pretty,...
Does your public library system give you access to the NoveList database? That thing is awesome. I can search this database for author, subject, title or even general plot line keywords and then sort by reading/age level and away I go. It seriously rocks for looking up a laundry list of titles like this. You could just plug in American hisotrical fiction and choose your age range and it would spit back a list of titles and descriptions and sometimes supplemental...
The BBC did a series for A&E that are pretty good called The Planets. There are 8 in all I think and produced by David McNab. They are adult level, but my DD1 still enjoyed them. If you want something especially for kiddos, she also liked the space related Magic School Bus episodes.