or Connect

Posts by La Sombra

Hi there! I'm just bumping this old thread because my daughter is currently on the wait list for BIA's Spanish language-immersion program for 1st grade. She is No. 7 on the wait list, so I'm not even all that confident that she'll be accepted, but in the meantime, I'm fretting a little because I have heard such mixed things about the school. Can any parents of current BIA students (especially Spanish language immersion students!) tell me anything about their experiences...
I just took my Mirena out and it was easier than taking out a tampon! After reading this thread, I decided to give it a go. Like many others, I've become convinced that the Mirena is the reason for a weight gain that I've unable to lose for over two years now. I had to wait at least a month to get in to see an OB-GYN and even then, I couldn't find a single one who would take out my IUD and put in a copper (non-hormonal) IUD in the same visit. I was feeling really...
Hi all! My family and I are moving this week to Baltimore from our home in Ann Arbor, MI. My daughter is going to be starting kindergarten at our local public school. One of the things that we are required to bring in order to register her is her immunization records.   Initially, when my daughter was born, I decided not to vaccinate her. I later decided that she should have some vaccinations--but we chose not to give her the MMR vax or the varicella vax. So now...
Thank you all! I hadn't checked this thread in a while but I appreciate your responses.   I will definitely contact Govan's preschool. We're looking at a house now in Hunting Ridge. As my husband will be working in Catonsville (and I have three job interviews next week!--two in Baltimore County schools, one in a school in Howard County), a day care anywhere close to these two (three?) areas would be convenient. So by all means if anyone thinks of any other...
Hello there Baltimore mamas! I will be moving with my husband and two children to the Baltimore area; my husband just a job teaching at UMBC and I'm frantically looking for a job as a high school Spanish teacher. We have gotten a lot of help and advice from my husband's soon-to-be colleagues and are looking to live in the Roland Park area. We hear the schools there are quite good? My daughter will be going into kindergarten.   The problem is finding a daycare for...
Thank you all so much for replying and for sharing your insights with me! I suppose if I take anything away from this thread, it's that hopefully I can't go wrong whichever path I choose! 
I agree that you did the right thing, and I also agree that you need to just end this relationship! I think it's hard sometimes to end relationships with people who care for our children because we think it somehow isn't exactly a "professional" relationship. But you, ultimately, it IS! You were paying her to do a service and she did not do it well. She may be a lovely person and your dd may have adored her. But if she wasn't doing the job that you were paying (very...
I am graduating in a couple of weeks with a BA in Spanish and Chinese. My initial plan was to get a Masters in teaching and become a high school language teacher. But starting about two years ago, I started thinking about studying public policy, which kind of evolved into thinking about social work. So what I did was apply to a variety of graduate programs in a variety of place in each of these fields.   The problem, it turns out, has become one of having too many...
I just saw this but I'm glad I did. We have the same thing happening over here with my almost-four year old dd. Sometimes it hurts me, too--both that she is so sad and missing her dad (breaks my heart and makes me feel guilty), and also, I guess, I feel a little hurt that she misses him and wants him so much--shouldn't she be happy just to be with me? But I'm talking in the voice of my ego; I know that that is not true, that it's natural and normal that she should miss...
I just wanted to say, in light of my comment above, that I find your post very thoughtful and specific and you address cultural differences in a way that opens up the discussion and introduces nuances for us to think about!   Having said that, do you think that the debate *here* about feeling comfortable dtd with babies/toddlers in the room (or indeed whilst nursing them) or not is divided along cultural lines? I haven't so far gotten that impression myself...