or Connect

Posts by La Sombra

Sorry, I haven't had this problem specifically, but I would say that if you are living in the US that your dd is likely to learn all this on her own. Maybe you could gently explain to her when someone isn't digging her affection that she some people like their space, but I wouldn't even put it in a cultural context, necessarily. She will figure out, I imagine, that some people are touchy-feely, and that others aren't. And eventually she may come to see that this tends...
I speak to my kids in Spanish (NOT exclusively, though) and I imagine I'm at a level pretty similar to you. The one difference is that my partner is Spanish so we speak Spanish together at home most of the time, and my kids are getting Spanish language input from a native speaker so I don't worry too much about the fact that my Spanish isn't perfect. I'm also doing a double-major (Spanish and Chinese, actually!) and it's also super important to me that my kids speak...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy_to_2angels Although I was never married to my kids' father, my daughter has plenty of thoughts on this. She's 5 years old and just the other day she turned to me and said "I don't want you to marry Jesse, you already married my daddy." I explained to her that we were never married and that I didn't know if Jesse and I would get married but that if we did it would be because it was what was best for our family. She has...
Hi Neonalee, we were in the same DDC--I see your lo was born the day before mine (mine was ten days late!). I was totally the same with my dd! I remember sort of obsessively reading about what milestones would be coming and feeling a slight sort of panic/dread thinking about the fact that it seemed like it took SUCH a long time to be able to do so comparitively little. By one year old, I have enjoyed every stage of hers more than the next. Now she is three and a half...
I wanted first to offer you big hugs. You have a lot of stuff going on right now and you're pregnant and you should be safe and supported. So should your children. It must seem utterly overwhelming to you right now. And I agree that the system can be totally complex and byzantine. A lot of mamas do what they have to do to get by in the (insufficient, discriminatory, IMO) welfare system that we have. And while I agree that you should report your changes to DHS, I...
I have all our old photographs saved but I haven't had the heart to go through them since the divorce. Just thinking about it makes me depressed. I do have an idea that I will save a lot of the photos of the wedding and us together as a family for our dd. I can't imagine, personally, just throwing those things away. Maybe it depends on the relationship? My ex was a real UVA in a lot of ways, but he certainly wasn't abusive and the hurt certainly came from both sides,...
Quote: Originally Posted by 2xand2y My little brother knocked his front tooth out when he was 18 months old (born in 81). He was fine: eating, talking, never teased, etc-. He never had a spacer and he did need orthodontia but he probably would have needed it anyway (other problems on the bottom and top). He has lovely teeth now as a grown up. He doesn't remember knocking that tooth out but I sure do! THANK YOU! I think it's so important to...
Quote: Originally Posted by JacquelineR I lost mine at about 3yo. I'm not certain of the exact age. I was supposed to have a spacer but my brothers kept stealing and breaking it, so after the 3rd one, I didn't have one. Not every child requires a spacer even if they have lost their front teeth but it is more common in these cases. My brothers teased my constantly, singing "All I want for Christmas" year round... Thank goodness dd is the...
Thank you, Peony! That was just the kind response I was looking for! I have spoken now with seven dentists and they've all told me the same thing: there is nothing they can do. Today is day 3 and the swelling has gone way down and she already seems relatively untroubled. I'm glad to know that it was a non-issue for your dd all those years. Also: she looks pretty cute with that missing tooth!
Hi there. Yesterday, my 3 and a half year old dd was running down the hill at our house and fell on her face and knocked out her front tooth. It was very traumatic--for her, certainly, and also for me. I'm having flashbacks of it and feeling very guilty and worried for her, so I'm trying to be as proactive as possible (and also to just accept that what happened is just one of those things and to let it go!). So first of all, we live in our university's graduate...