or Connect

Posts by La Sombra

My dad says that his family couldn't afford formula (and grandma was told she had "supply issues") so he and his siblings drank regular cows milk. I don't know what percent--in fact it might have even been reconstituted from powder 'cause I know he grew up drinking that. This was in the mid-to-late '50s. My mom was, I think, formula fed but I don't know for sure. I do know that she was NOT breast fed at all. My mom was the only one of all her siblings to breast feed...
I have a beautiful fig preserve recipe--this way, you can serve it with cheese and bread or crackers or whatever else all year long. http://www.101cookbooks.com/supernatural/media.php There are recipes for cheese-and-herb stuffed figs wrapped in bacon or prosciutto that sound DIVINE (with pecans as well, in this case): http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/figs-w...on/Detail.aspx I recently ate a fig salad at a Greek restaurant that was AMAZING: it had grapes, and dried...
I relate so much to your post! There have been a lot of situations like this but one recently was the ex called me when dd was sick at his house. I feel the same ambivalence as you: wanting to be there and do absolutely anything for her if she really needs me BUT also wanting MY time and to be respected, and not wanting to have to facilitate the relationship and cultivate the skills that EX needs as a parent. It's hard! I still struggle with it. In your case, I...
Good luck mama! I did a lot of online classes when I was doing my associate's degree and I can totally relate to the lessons that you learned. There is definitely a learning curve to online classes but it sounds like all ended well for you and that you are going to have lots of success in the future with it!
Quote: Originally Posted by Artichokie Rather than worrying about her weight, I would worry about what you are teaching her to like to eat. This is where she will get in trouble as an adult in terms of maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle. Lots of great suggestions here - all grains should be whole wheat/whole grains. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread. There should be lots of veggies, and proportionally less protein (lean meats,...
Thank you! Incidentally, I *am* pregnant...although hopefully not for long--being 8.5 months pregnant in this heat is getting a bit old! I think I will err on the side of caution, too--thanks again!
Ah! Before I read down, the VERY first thing that popped into my head was TOM YUM soup, a Thai soup that I ate almost every day every time I was in Thailand! It's INCREDIBLE. But then again, Tom Kai Gai is almost the same thing, but with coconut milk (if I'm not mistaken), so even better if you want a little creaminess and sweetness with the sourness. I think the traditional thing would be to have tom yum with shrimp (which is delicious and protein-rich, of course)...
A few months ago--gosh, maybe even like a year ago--I bought a whole, organic, free-range chicken from the grocery store and immediately froze it. Basically what happened is this: a few weeks ago, the freezer (which is a normal top-freezer configuration) was so full that the door didn't close all the way and we didn't realize it. It was open enough, and long enough (about 14 hours) that all the popsicles melted to liquid. Everything was still cold, but definitely...
I will just comment in general, mama, on what you already know full-well and what you have already acknowledged in your post: you have to sort out your boundary issues! In this situation and in general, or these kinds of things are going to continue plaguing you. I'm saying this sympathetically because I also have had great trouble in my life speaking my mind. Most recently, I have had some problems with dd's daycare and I convinced myself not to address them directly...
I tried that at 40 weeks with dd: she was born 15 days later! It was really yummy, though, so why not give it a shot?!