or Connect

Posts by seawind

Quote: Originally Posted by darcytrue I think it's fine to tell them the truth too but I do it based on their age. I think 5 is a bit too young to get "that" specific because children that age tend to talk about everything to other children and adults. I'd be afraid they'd take it out of context and make things look weird to other people. Nothing wrong with keeping it "age appropriate" IMO. They can be told more and more as they get older and more...
to the PP. The mosaic of human relationships are made up of many elements. For many, gifts form a part of those elements. They may be handmade, they may be plastic, store-bought. In (usually) close relationships, such as that of a grandparent and grandchild, they come to represent the love, thought and feelings of the giver. When, you (meant in the general sense), as a parent create friction over such gifts/presents, you create tension in these valued human relationships....
RasJi7, another apology here for derailing the thread somewhat. I like that your approach is clear and direct. I hope it establishes the desired boundary and all goes smoothly!
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan To the people who keep arguing that spanking is cultural in America because 90% of parents spank, please show me the people who think it's okay for kids to hit anyone. The point was made that the OP doesn't want her ds getting the idea that it's okay to hit since it's not okay for HIM to hit. I am not sure anyone has claimed that on this thread. Quote: Originally Posted by...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie I don't know how to communicate this. Yes, seems to be a communication matter. Not convinced, yet. But, at the end of the day it seems to work out for the purpose you explained. OP, have you thought about how you want to approach this?
Quote: Originally Posted by KweenKrunch Hi Ladies, Am I overreacting? Thanks Yes, you are overreacting.
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie But the point is NOT to give my in-laws an accurate representation of mainstream American culture. The point is to find a face-saving way in which to get my way on this issue, which for me is a no-compromise issue. Sure, I could say, "In my family," but on the contrary, this makes it sound like we think we're so special because we don't spank, kwim? Whereas cultures are just different and nobody can change...
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpybear I agree (with the bolded) but in the example you provided where spanking is NOT part of our/your culture, that is very blatantly wrong. I understand that you consider yourself to not be part of the general culture in America (where up to 90% spank their toddlers) but just because something is not practiced in your circle, it does not mean that it is not part of the culture in general. I find cultural differences...
Nature.
"Didn't feel like it" isn't reason enough for me to cancel a playdate at the last minute. Rather inconsiderate. Allowing these things as a matter of course leads to a undesirable precedent, imo. I also find it strange that the child's mother actually asked if you wanted to come over, instead!