or Connect

Posts by skye's mama

Another vote for Barclay's, though the pp's link is no longer valid. Use http://www.barclaywoods.com/home.htm Even if you don't go with theirs, they have a lot of information about why you might choose different types of wood (maple, beech, and birch.) Also instructions for building your own set if you are up for that. Definitely at least visit their website. I purchased a basic set of the maple blocks a couple of years ago for my girls and they are absolutely...
So those of you using orris root, where did you get it? I tried three local stores: Whole Foods, Country Sun, Elephant Pharm. Elephant Pharm supposedly stocks it but didn't have any. So I am guessing I would need to mail order it...but since gift day is next Wed. I am running out of time. What else could be used as preservative? I saw one site that recommended sandalwood oil, but I personally don't want to mix that scent in with the cloves and citrus. Any suggestions? Does...
Oooh, I am glad I ran across this thread. I am trying to think of a present for my girls' teachers that they could help with. My mil gave me some probably at least a decade ago, and I didn't really get it, but then I recently opened the box they were packed in for the last x moves, and they smelled great! So I am trying to make one now with a key lime! If it works out okay, I figure it is about the right size my dds could help with. A few questions though. How do you...
I just thought I'd give this thread a bump, since I have been re-reading Montessori from the Start to get some ideas for my 12 week old son. Ursula - How are things going with your daughter? Are you introducing mobiles for her to try to touch yet? My son definitely can spend quite a bit of time (though never actually timed it yet) looking at stuff in whichever room he is in. In the playroom he likes looking at the bottom of his hammock, which kind of sways, and some...
Lillard and Jessen, in their book Montessori from the Start, describe several infant mobiles in some detail, but not quite enough detail to reproduce them. I have tried a couple of websearches to try to find more information but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know where I can find pictures or instructions on how to make them? Anyone else try actually making any of the mobiles for their baby?
Dear Moma Justice, I just read your post and have lit a candle for your dear baby Rain. I am watching the flame, trying to think of what words to say. If only there was something any of us could say or do to make it not so. I want to say something to help you feel "better", but know that is not possible either. If only there was someway to share the pain, so you would not have to bear it all on your own. During each of my two pregnancies I have tried to prepare...
Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom to have. But I am in a similar situation with regards to the thinking chair with my three year olds, and am interested in hearing more about what people think is appropriate. About a week ago one of my girls did not want to go to school and the other told her that she could just sit on the bench. So I asked what the bench was, and they told me that if they cry they are supposed to sit on a certain bench in the classroom. They both...
Leif Arcturus was born at home early Monday morning, August 28, 5:30 a.m. He weighed 7lb.5oz. On Sunday morning I started leaking amniotic fluid. My midwife was not only out of town five hours away, but her car had also broken down. Plus I wouldn't officially be 37 weeks until Monday. So I had a long chat with her discussing strategy. I decided to get in bed and take it easy and hopefully the leak would stop and I would stay pregnant another week or so. My husband...
My girls, who will be three in August, started Montessori school in June. So far they have been pushed down, hit on the head with sand toys (repeatedly, even after the teacher had intervened), had walnuts thrown at them, pinched and called "stupid head" (which was funny in the sense that my kids didn't even know the word "stupid"). Their belongings have been thrown over a fence into the parking lot. Most of this is perpetrated by the older students, 5 and 6 year olds. The...
So I just wanted to update my original post. Both of my girls have been fine with me dropping them off at school now since Monday. So three consecutive days of success. I wanted to just summarize what we did. School started on June 21st. For the first week, either I or my husband sat in the classroom. I stayed out of the way and read a book. I did not interact with the other children. I did respond to my children when they came to me. Often my response was to redirect...