or Connect

Posts by california_mom

This is more of a vent than anything. My son is sick again - fever of 104, coughing, stuffy nose and sore throat. He started transitional kindergarten in January and has been sick half the time. No exaggeration. He started grammar school and then got sick the next week. He was sick off and on for eight weeks, mostly on. He would be out of school for a week, we'd put him back in, and then he'd get sick again. Out for a week, put him back in, sick again. Since March it's...
All good advice. Thank you.    When my child is crying, it's hard to be the sane adult in the situation, especially when my first reaction is to drag the bully off the playground by his ear. I am going to have to work on that. Maybe with practice (gods forbid), I will be able to think clearly and come up with some good lines similar to what loveandkindness suggested.   We are going to enroll my son in martial arts, so hopefully that will give him tools to handle...
He was so smug about it. That is really what chapped my hide. Smiling at his friend, not telling me any info. At what point do I haul the kid off to jail? I mean, there's not much a parent can do if the perpetrator doesn't relinquish his name, address, school, etc. Thanks for bumping this. I spoke with friends of mine about it, and most of them have girls, so I'm not sure they'll deal with this (physical-type bullying) as much as parents with boys do. Don't get me wrong,...
We had an bullying incident on the playground recently and I am still worked up (and it's been three weeks). My 5-yr old son was at a neighborhood playground located next to an elementary school. The playground was busy with lots of kids, and there were a few older boys (2nd or 3rd grade I'm guessing), and my son was behind them in line for the slide. I wasn't really paying attention and all of a sudden my son is in front of me, telling me that one of the boys told him...
I am looking for a tent trailer (or pop up trailer) that someone may have that they don't use anymore. I want to take my son camping (sans dad) and I need something that's easy to pull and set up.   I don't have a particular size of pop-up in mind, but I am looking for one in decent shape (no rips or tears) and made in the 21st century.    I'm in the Auburn, CA (near Sacramento) area. I'd be willing to travel a long way if the price was right, or if it were...
We euthanized my 17-yr old cat last night, and I just woke up from a dream where he came to me to say "Goodbye."  I am not thinking straight right now, so I thought I'd ask you this question because I don't know how I feel about it right now.     Do you keep track of the dates your pets died?    I still remember the date my childhood dog died, April 26, 1994. Now that I'm older and have had a few more pets over the years, I don't think I can keep track of all the...
Soon this will be a moot point because my son will know how to use my iPhone, but until then I'm worrying...   We had an incident recently where my son and I were home alone for a few days, and we both ended up with fevers and really sick. One night I passed out, and that started me thinking. What would he do if I was incapacitated and couldn't phone for help myself?     Although we have wonderful neighbors, I lock the doors at night and my 5-yr old son has a...
There are two remedies you can try. I've tried both and one hasn't worked for me and the other is unknown (but there are no more fleas).   1. Put a huge dish of soapy water near where you suspect fleas. Place a lamp over the water, so its light is shining in the water. Theoretically the fleas are attracted to the light and jump up to it, fall down into the water and drown in the soap. (I have yet to see a drowned wet flea in my bowls!)   2. Diatomeceous earth....
I realized that one of my dogs has a chicken allergy. Upon learning that, I started looking for pet foods (I do this every few years).  I realized that Innova & California Natural, which is what we were feeding him, is owned by P&G. Argh!  So, I want to switch brands, which now has to exclude Innova, Evo and California Natural.  I had already banned Diamond products, like Taste of the Wild. So I am running out of options. My only option at this point seems to be Wysong,...
We use the Joy of Cooking recipe. Substitutions are soy milk (organic Safeway brand) and Egg Replacer. We also use some wheat flour every now and again. They are delish! And also freeze well, so we can pop them (the small pancakes we make just for this) in the toaster for fast breakfasts later in the week.   Now I'm curious about what another poster said. If buttermilk has cultures that make the pancakes fluffy, does normal dairy milk have those same cultures? And if...