or Connect

Posts by Evan&Anna's_Mom

I am "sort of" in the same boat.  My 14 YO DS became increasingly violent over the last 2-3 years, as well as having increasing problems with school.  We were at the point of his destroying his room (but never hurting people) and then threatening to kill himself, after yelling about how he hated us and how awful we were... We ended up needing to have him hospitalized for a bit just to keep everyone in the house safe.  He was throwing chairs through walls and smashing...
Boy does that sound like our family -- very outgoing ADHD child with introvert parents who have lots of stuff to do each weekend.  It's probably going to be very area specific.  I can't think of anything that would be an all-day thing every weekend even in our large metro area though.    Does her gymnastics gym have an "open gym" time?   DD's gym has about 4 hours over the weekend were she can go and practice or just play with the other kids.  They also have parent's...
 No mom wants to think that her child is feeling that bad.  We all want to think our kids are doing wonderfully.  And sometimes things go from "down" to "life-threatening" really, really fast.  Part of the trouble is that teens react so strongly to things, and some of those things we never see now that they are older.  I know the trigger for my DS was all school-related, so I didn't see much of it and only heard about what he wanted to share.  Once things are on a more...
Not exactly, but close enough.  My DS was hospitalized due to depression and anxiety, but his outlet was violent destruction.  The saving grace of all of this was the hospital's staff and the resources they could put me in touch with.  If they have a social worker on staff, start there.  Their job is to know about all of the options you might have.  If they don't, ask the nurse or doctor for recommendations for next steps.  We had to have a plan in place before we were...
For me, it was (and still is) very important to respect my children and their tastes, just as it is important they respect mine.  And I'm a very big believer in "do what you want your kids to do" sort of parenting.  Further, even at a young age I think kids develop food likes and dislikes, just like I do.  Sometimes these are based on actual taste or texture, and sometimes just the look or smell of something is enough for me to say "no thank you".  So, since I don't force...
DD was diagnosed with ADHD in first grade -- about that age.  We resisted the recommendation for medication for a while and tried several homeopathic options, none of which helped very much.  In the end we medicated -- she takes Vyvanse and has great success with it.  She says that, once she started with meds, it felt like someone had turned off all the noise in her head and she could hear herself think.  Her self-esteem was awful because the kids teased her about things...
 Speaking only for myself, my DD is 11 and will be in middle school next year. She watches a couple of these shows and I'm generally "around" while she does.  I don't sit and watch them (that would be torture!), I do listen in and pay attention as I walk through the living room, and I comment when appropriate.  I'm actually glad for the chance to point stuff out (positive and negative).  I confess, however, that I tolerate some better than others!
I think the author is confusing cause and effect here.  While I don't think teen culture is quite as bad as these shows depict, I do think these shows merely magnify what middle schoolers are like.  Sure, they aren't great shows but I don't think they are going to completely destroy my DD either.  And they do give me an opportunity to point out bad behavior and discuss consequences of your actions without having to criticize her directly and a context for discussions on...
Thanks for the support -- sometimes you just need someone to say "there there" and/or "you are not alone".  I appreciate it -- its been a very hard couple of months.   Just to make sure you all know that we are working on all sorts of things -- he has a therapist, takes anxiety/depression medication, and participates in a boys social skills group.  He's in the final year of middle school.  We have a 504 plan at the school, and we happened to have a meeting yesterday to...
DS, 14, has significant depression and anxiety issues, plus ADD.  All of this shows up much more at school than at home.  He really dislikes school and is very anxious about it.  Which I understand.  He's not doing at all well this year, which I also understand.  He missed almost a month in October due to hospitalization/partial hospitalization program for rage episodes/depression.  He's been sitting in the VP's office all day begging to come home because of being...