or Connect

Posts by Evan&Anna's_Mom

The girls are 9.  The brother is 7.  The problem with girls including him is that he is difficult.  Mostly, he hits.  My daughter doesn't even like to go play at their house because she gets hurt so often.  Or he ruins whatever they have been working on building or creating.  Rips the doll clothes.  That sort of thing.   I would think that at 7 he should be able to handle his sister going down the street to play, but maybe the age difference is at play here?  My kids...
My DD has a good neighborhood friend she loves to play with.  Recently, when my DD has tried to arrange playtime with friend, mother has said the girls could only play if my son also played with her son, because the boy is jealous of the girl's time together.  Problem is, my son is 12 and her's is 7, so they are not a particularly good pair.  While my son is patient and kind when the other boy is visiting, he wouldn't normally choose to play with the younger child.  So...
We didn't do a Montessori school, so I can't comment on that aspect of it.  But both of my children did attend a private school with a very academically oriented K program.  In fact, most of the students were 6 or close to it when they started.  But we knew going in that it was a demanding program that didn't accept students without an academic preschool or a year of their "Jr. K" program.    They did have homework every night -- generally a page of practice math...
Feel free to mention it to the teacher but realize that you might not have the full picture and the teacher may not be able to share the full picture.  The child may be a picky eater and that's all she will eat. She may be on medication that diminishes her appetite.  My DD takes meds that means she is not at all hungry during the day.  I am sure that half of her classmates think she is neglected/hungry because of what is (or isn't) in her lunch each day.  But she doesn't...
Depending on where you are and what your resources are, I would definitely try for a physical activity, even if it needs to be inside.  Here we have several indoor gyms that take kids of various ages for structured and non-structured activities, plus several indoor play areas that are filled with all the bounce-house type things a kid could want and they offer "free play" for an hour or two each day.  Of course, neither of those are free and I imagine in you are not near...
Unfortunately, it can also be true that even in a tiny school where you know the kids and teachers and the teacher/student ratio is really low a child can be hurt, picked on, bullied etc.  We actually moved from just such a school to the public schools because of these issues.  The other disadvantage we found with such tiny classes is that if you don't fit with the few other boys/girls in your class, then you really have no other options for school friends.  The tiny...
I would definitely get a letter from your ped and then schedule a conference with teacher and principal to resolve the issue and make sure that everyone understands this is a medical issue, not just "an accident".  And to request they not put words in your mouth (e.g. telling your daughter you would be mad).  Get the modification that she will get help when requested (outside of the bathroom) in writing and make sure it is filed with the office.    As a practical...
I think it might depend on the age of the children involved.  If the kids are really young (say, younger than school age), it is hard to change plans at the last minute.  You work so hard to get them ready for a play date, turning it off at the last moment can be difficult.  And yes, I think that being courteous to others should play into your decisions.  But for a school aged child?  Absolutely I think its OK for plans to need a change as a consequence of behavior.  And...
You can definitely find a dojo that doesn't take that kind of commitment.  My son takes karate.  The dojo charges a flat monthly rate with no contracts ($115/mo).  They offer classes for his age range 3 times a week and prefer that each child comes at least twice a week but it isn't a requirement.  There is a fee for belt testing (which I dislike) but they don't do a lot of tournaments or seminars which add additional charges, unlike most in the area.  Before you decide...
Even child care providers have a bad day.  I would definitely listen tomorrow.  If its a pattern, then I would talk to the DCP about what you heard and see what she has to say.  If she doesn't see an issue with her tone of voice or gets defensive, I would definitely change providers because someone with this little patience is likely to snap at other times too, and who knows how fast and how far that snap would be.