or Connect

Posts by Evan&Anna's_Mom

This is not your family nor your guests.  There is no reason whatsoever that you should have to  interact with them.  I would be angry even if they were praising your parenting if they were in my space uninvited.  This isn't even a roommate situation where both families are equal partners in the space.  These people are trespassing.  Do not even get into a discussion about your parenting.  Do not even acknowledge that they are commenting on your parenting.  Simply say...
So much depends on the exact circumstances -- ages of children, degree of planning/depending on someone else, amount of advanced notice would all make a difference.  I would have to take it case-by-case when it involved my child and another child.   However, I had a regular (every Thurs. evening) teen babysitter for a while who was routinely grounded from sitting for us at the last minute -- I think mostly for not finishing her homework, which she could easily have...
As a mom of a child who will only eat 6 bites at any one time, I'm grateful that she has a time for a morning snack.  Kids bring their own, so its not required but it does mean that she might eat a little something and she needs every bite I can get into her.  Here the elementary schools (K-5) have a time for snack during the morning recess, but it is eliminated in the middle school schedule.  
I'm not, but I did want to post and say how great it is that you are accepting and open-minded about this!  You hear so many horror stories of teens who feel rejected by their parents due to LGBT issues its really wonderful to hear from someone who's answer wasn't "Kick her out of the house and our lives".
Thanks for the replies.  At least I don't feel quite so alone!  I know he is going through lots of transitions (which he has never done well with).  He is switching from a tiny private school (where small classes were a disaster because if you don't fit with the other 4 boys live is hard) to a large public middle school.  He is used to moving from class to class and teacher to teacher, though.  While my DD has ADHD there has never been any suggestion of ADD with DS,...
OK, I'm not sure which of three places to put this so I'll start here.  Mods -- please move if you think it should be elsewhere (I could see special needs or GD as possible options, or even Learning at School).   DS is soon to be 12 (about 2 weeks from now).  He has some issues with depression and anxiety and currently takes Zoloft and sees a counselor.  He started middle school last week and I was so hoping that a new school would result in new habits, but alas we...
Oh interesting thought.  I've been struggling with my 11 YO for the last year about lying about school-work.  I'm not a "punishment" type of parent, but he seems to be terrified about what will happen if I get mad at him for something.  I can not understand the terror and maybe you just hit on it.  Since we are 1 week into the new year and he's already behind on his homework, and lying about it, maybe we should re-evaluate our policies.  Thank you for giving me a new...
  If it helps, my 11 YO (OMG -- 12 next week!!!) who just started middle school still likes me to read and snuggle in to talk before he goes to sleep.  And he wants a kiss before he leaves for school, even though he is now old enough to ride his bike to school on his own.  So maybe you will get to 12 too!  
For what its worth, we have just finished the first week at new schools.  My DS was always going to transition to middle school this year, which is why we "stuck it out" last year.  While I wouldn't expect him to have a best friend after 3 days of school, he does say he is more comfortable and feels like he fits in better than he did last year.  He's excited that some of the after school clubs start next week and is hoping to make some friends there.  My DD was very...
I completely understand.  We just left a very similar situation, largely because of the social difficulties.  Living far away from the school (when virtually everyone else was in the immediate area) was compounded for us by being one of the few families on financial aid.  The kids felt excluded from everything -- they didn't do many playdates (while others in the class had them more days than not), despite my constantly trying to arrange them, offering to drive kids to...