or Connect

Posts by Evan&Anna's_Mom

My 8 YO DD will get her own snacks, including things that need toasting or microwaving.  Both she and 11 you DS generally are "free snacking" during the day and don't even ask for food help.  She can certainly get out her own ice cream (her favorite snack)!  She can use the stove and oven with supervision.   On a regular basis she gets herself ready for bed with multiple reminders/checklist (she has ADHD and by bedtime her meds have worn off and she can't remember...
Or the children aren't aware of the limits because the parent hasn't voiced them as such.  I have flexible limits with how much screen time I'm comfortable with for both of my kids (ages 11 and 8, so not little kids).  But I don't know that I've ever said "you may watch X hours of TV per day".  So if asked, they would probably say "no limits".  But that doesn't mean that I don't say "Hey, you've been watching TV (or playing your DS or on the computer) for a while now, why...
I guess I'm sort of baffled by those who see a difference between paper and crayons vs. iPhone?  Personally, I see most of the iPhone apps that smaller children use as more creative than coloring in a pre-determined picture with the 4 colors provided by most restaurants.  Doing the activities in the children's menu still doesn't have a child interacting with the adults at the table.  Why is a child drawing a picture free-hand with crayons any different than drawing using...
Amen to everything Piglet says.
I'm not sure exactly what sorts of consequences you have tried in the past.  I'm not a great believer in removing privileges unless they are directly related to the "bad" behavior.  So I'm much more "into" logical consequences.  If I can't explain the connection between behavior and consequence in less than 2-3 sentences, then its not a valid consequence, IMHO.  Have you tried something along these lines? If so, sorry to repeat things.   I agree that you have the...
Both of my children had a variety of caregivers getting them to nap over the years.  Each of them found their own routine and, as long as each was consistent, they all seemed to work.  The key is nothing works right away -- not even CIO as your DH has probably figured out.  Some of the things that have worked for the "non-moms" who have cared for my children have been: wearing in a sling (either until asleep or for the full nap, walking in a stroller, riding in a car,...
No, same pill.  We just practiced with a round mini m&m because we couldn't find anything like the little capsule to practice with.  Also, the first couple of trial medications were pills rather than capsules.  Good luck!    
My DD is 8.  Was diagnosed just shy of 7 and has been taking vyvanse vor about a year now.  She takes 30 mg.  The improvement in her school performance was amazing and we have only seen sleep issues when we started and when we increased the dose about 6 months ago -- both times for only a week or 2.  Though as I said, the summer is really messing with us at the moment and just last night DH and I decided that it would be better to wake her in the morning to get the meds...
I think the key is to remember that all families are different.  Here, we always paint in "regular clothes" and never use aprons or anything.  I don't care how the kids use the paints or how quickly they get mixed.  IMHO, that's part of the fun.  So you really can't say that a teen should "know better" or use "common sense".  I'm sure she was doing what she thought was "right" based on either her experience or her encounters with other families.  If you have different...
My DD takes Vyvance as well.  I agree that we had some sleep issues at first but they went away within a couple of weeks.  But if she doesn't take her meds before about 8 AM bedtime get increasingly difficult.  Since she wants to sleep in now that it is summer this has become a much bigger issue.  In fact, she slept in past 9 this morning and we decided to skip meds entirely today.  Now, if I can keep from screaming at her until bedtime we'll be in great shape.I have a...