or Connect

Posts by Evan&Anna's_Mom

I agree that they look crazy flimsy.  But they really do work.  They won't hold an adult out of the water but they really will hold a child.  We've hard ours since DS was a baby (we moved into the house when he was 6 months) and he's 11 now.  Two kids, one pool, no accidents or anything near an accident.  I also think it helps to have something covering the pool, even if its not a solid barrier.  It reminds kids that there is something there that they can't walk on.  Our...
Is there a reason you want to stay away from a cover type safety solution?  We have a pool and I really loved our safety "net".   It looks like this:  http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-nets/?gclid=CNL_8Y3ex6kCFQUogwodsTorZw   It is strong/tight enough to keep most small children (I think to about 100 lbs.) up out of the water if they fall on it.  It attaches to the ground with metal "hooks" and then has a central tensioner that really sets everything so that a child...
A couple more things to consider.  We just pulled our children from a private school where I loved, loved, loved the actual academic philosophy.  But the scoial interactions with the other students was getting increasingly ugly.  We were on the bottom of the economic scale at the school (one of the few families with financial aid).  Not being able to keep up socially was making my kids miserable.  And the others teased them about how "poor" we are.  It really turned into...
Can I trade someone a "are you a single mom" type of question for "Are you babysitting your grand-daughter".  Um, no, this is my daughter.  And yes, I was nearly 40 when I had her, but she's 8 so I'm really not THAT old.  Am I?  
I understand this completely.  My DS went through preschool wearing nothing but sweats and knit shorts.  But when he started K he was so proud of the button shorts and belt that were required that it was never a problem.  You may benefit from some peer pressure here.  Of course, you have a physical limitation to deal with as well, so that makes it harder.  But still, don't despair -- you never know what starting a new "big kid" school will do.   We are transitioning out...
Can I join the club?  My DD is suddenly having trouble as well and I'm not sure what to do.  Most of me feels like I should coach as much as I can but let her figure it out (that's sort of my style) but I'm not even sure what to suggest she do.  Her best friend just decided she wanted to be someone else's best friend and the girls don't seem able to be friends with more than one other at a time.  DD is very sad and I don't know what to suggest.  Its a tiny class in a...
My children are at a school with very strict uniform code, so we don't have many options.  But if clothing is going to be a challenge for her, you might want to start by talking to someone so you know just what is allowed.  For example, can she wear leggings (since she likes soft)?  Yoga pants?  Pull-on knit pants?  Luckily khaki should be easy to find in lots of options.  There are lots of on-line sources out there once you have some idea of what your options...
If you are specifically worried about cold weather, would she do tights under pants/jeans?  That might give her the "wrapped" feeling she wants with "regular" skinny jeans.  
My 8 YO DD is ADHD and we medicate.  Her inability to focus in school meant she was not learning to read as quickly as her peers.  her inability to sit still in class was an issue both with the teacher (who would have coped if we had insisted) but also with her classmates.  The teacher was pretty good about being positive and constructive but the other kids were blunt (a la "sit down and be quiet!" and "Leave me alone I'm trying to do my work").  So her self esteem was...
Assuming  you are OK with mixed fabrics...   Is a skort allowed?  Lands End has one that is pull-on for little girls (up to size 7).  They also have an elastic waist chino that doesn't show up in the uniform section, only the regular pants section.  This is one of my favorite places for uniform pants, though pants/shorts are only allowed for boys at our school.   thechildrenswearoutlet.com has an elastic waist/pull on pant for both boys and girls.  I have found...