or Connect

Posts by Evan&Anna's_Mom

For me, a weekday party would be frustrating because my kids are at day camp all day while I'm at the office.   I couldn't get them there unless I held them out of camp all day AND paid for a sitter for 9+ hours (at $15/hr. that would be one expensive birthday party for them the attend!)  We are regular church-goers but I love Sunday afternoon parties.  I'd say that anything on Sunday that starts after 1 would probably be OK for most church-going folk.  There would be...
I'm in the "it has to be practical" camp for my 9 YO DD.  But that changes depending on the occasion, which is why she has lots of suits and they are a mix of styles.  IMHO, a "string bikini" is never practical for a child.  (And it probably shouldn't be for a grown woman but that's a different set of posts.)  But a two piece can be great when she has to wear a swim suit under clothing at camp and she won't be swimming until the afternoon.  Otherwise she has to take off...
We had a similar situation for a while here too.  Boys were living with their grandparents most of the time (down the street) with occasional visits to parents.  I finally walked myself down and introduced myself to the grandparents, and you should probably do the same.  There were days when a parent would drop the boys at the grandparent's house but the boys would come up the hill to be with us -- the grandparents didn't even know where they were.  Or the grandparents...
I don't think there is anything "new" about it.  I was in jr. high and high school in the late 1970's in a mid-size city with good schools.  There were fights and bullying/beatings in the middle school (I know -- I was the one getting beaten up).  In both middle and high school there were drugs, suicides, weapons, fights, inappropriate relationships.  The difference was that there wasn't security, teachers and administrators dismissed most of it as "kids will be kids",...
I would definitely take this with a grain of salt.  First, both stories are clearly written from the same source.  I would guess that the blog story (the second one) is written from the first story.  Too many phrases are the same.  Second, the hospital is associated with the state university, but I can't see how this is a "government run" facility.  It is privately funded and has a board of directors and trustees.  The fact that is being distorted makes me think the...
This is a purely "paid by the hour" job with no sick time or PTO available.  Maybe going forward I can negotiate for this but for the moment its not there.  Its also a brand new job, so even if I were earning PTO I couldn't use it right away.  And because I've been unemployed for so long I can't afford to lose several hours of pay just at the moment.  And DH is frequently traveling or in court and cannot count on being able to leave work for appointments.   And yes,...
For the last few years I've worked at part-time jobs in the non-profit world.  Most non-profits can't afford full-time employees to do a lot of the work, so they hire lots of part-timers.  I've been in marketing/communications/development for several years now and it has worked really well.   of course, the downside is that you are easy to lay off when the funding dries up.  Which is why I'm currently unemployed and looking to return to the full-time, for-profit...
I've been searching for work for about 2 years now, so I'm super excited to have a job offer.  But I have also just realized that for most of the time I've been a mom I have had part time jobs or an after-school nanny.  Now we can't afford individual child care and my kids are old enough that I feel OK about leaving them home on their own for a couple of hours most afternoons.  My 3rd grader will go to the after-school extended care program for the one day a week she...
You mean I'm not alone?  I had no idea Minecraft existed until my DS started public middle school this year.  He quickly made friends with a couple of boys who introduced him to Minecraft and he's been hooked ever since.  He hosted a "playdate" (or whatever you call if when the kids are 12) this Sunday and for 5 hours the three boys sat in the office, each on a different computer, and played Minecraft.  It drove me nuts but they had a great time.  I'm a little worried...
Well, "neighborhood" is relative here.  There are no children of the appropriate age that close by.  In this case, one of us has to drive the other to the playdate house, so it definitely takes a phone call and coordination between the other mom and myself.   I honestly don't think she's trying to get the afternoon off.  I've seen the boy in full tantrum mode and its not pretty.  So I think she is really trying to make sure he isn't upset/disappointed.  I'm sure its...