or Connect

Posts by sunnygir1

I don't have any advice, just empathy.  My dd was like that.  I never found anything that worked.  I just had to wait for her to outgrow it.  We also tried different things at different times with some temporary success.  Later bedtime can sometimes help shift off-schedules.  I would put on an audio book and go lie in her bed with her.   If you are thinking dairy intolerance may be a factor, quitting milk for a few days will probably not show a result.  You would...
I wouldn't think 35th percentile is falling off the charts -- I mean, a third of the kids her age (at least the kids that chart is based on) are smaller than her.   My dd is not small, I don't think, and those numbers sound similar to her last time I knew the numbers (around 5).  She's 5.5 now.  I'll try to remember to weigh and measure her tomorrow...maybe I'm off.   But, regardless of that, if you think your child is healthy and growing, then I'm not sure the...
My dd won't be going to school, but she is 5.5.  She is in bed at 8pm, goes to sleep in 10 minutes or one hour depending on the night, and sleeps until 7 or 8 or 9 am.  If it were us, I would be shooting for 12 hours of sleep.  How long does your dd sleep now?  Does it seem like enough?  The amound to sleep she needs is where you should start.  Then you can start waking her up earlier and putting her to bed earlier as needed.
Don't worry about it!  Who cares?  If you do, then try some things.  If you don't, just let it go.  My ds is about to turn 3 and has basically potty trained himself in the last few weeks.  We talked about it and encouraged it when we felt like it, but didn't every have much of a concerted effort, never pushed or forced, never bribed.  He does have an older sister to watch, emulate, but even with just parents around a child will learn to do what the parents do.  If you...
Oh, my!  I have been having a hard time with my spirited ds for tha past 6 months or so, so around the same age.  It sounds like you are doing a great job.  And like you need a break, so try to get a few minutes of time to yourself -- out for a walk alone, alone in a bath with a book?   The one thing I thought of reading your post is to try not to tell him to do anything unless you really have to.  My sister took this so far as to just hand things to her ds instead...
My dd used to have a really hard time when dh was away.  It could certaily be an expression of that.  Did he tell her to behave before he left?  It just popped into my head because she said she doesn't want to behave.  Maybe she's mad at him for leaving?   I think it's worth looking into the food thing.  Just give her some protein/fat with that morning snack -- nuts, nut butter, egg, cheese, etc.
My children are almost 3 and 5.5, and I found myself yelling a lot.  I think it was mostly about me, and I have been working on taking care of myself.  Even just acknowledging that I am doing a lot and making a list of things to do to take better care of myself really helped me stop yelling at my kids -- even before I had actually changed anything.  So, get sleep, get fresh air, get exercise, eat well, drink water, take baths, take time to yourself -- really even walking...
Dairy is a food I would never force on anyone.  I really don't think it is necessary for a healthy diet, and I believe that it can be detrimental to health, especially in large quantities.  The dairy industry and its economic power is the sole reason we have been told that milk is the best (and only as far as many are concerned) source of calcium.  Feed her calcium rich foods, if you're worried about it, and let her choose which healthy foods she wants to eat.   Sea...
Oh, I wish I had advice for you!  My dd woke frequently for several hours at a time until she was 3 or 4.  When it was really bad, I would let her watch tv while I slept on the couch -- I am really not into tv, so I must have been desperate!  She grew out of it, but it was really hard, and I never found any way to keep her from waking or make her go back to sleep when she did.  I think it is normal for people to wake during the night, and I think it is normal for young...
The things that helped us were: 1) waking her up in the morning; never letting her sleep in   2) waking her up from her nap after a certain amount of time, and always before a certain hour; like her nap could be 1.5 hours and must end by 3:00.   3) making sure she got a lot of exercise, especially in the afternoon.  An exhausting trip to the playground or walk in the woods can go a long way.   4) a bedtime routine, like dinner, brush teeth, bath, jammies,...