or Connect

Posts by sunnygir1

I made awesome dilly beans last month, and am about to do some more.   Pack clean beans, a couple dill flowers, and a few cloves of garlic in clean, wide mouth, quart canning jars.  Pack them tightly so they won't float to the top.   Dissolve 1.5T of salt in 2c of water and pour it over the beans.  Add enough water to cover the beans completely.   Cap the jar tightly (if you don't want it to bubble all over the counter) and cover with a towel.   I open...
I recently learned about room temperature yogurt cultures.  I have experience making my own yogurt, but have always pasteurized the milk, cooled it, added starter or yogurt, then incubated.   I am interested in raw yogurt and room temperature cultures, but I've never tried.   I'm using raw goat milk, and find that it makes good, but thin yogurt (I assume this is at least in part due to the lower fat content).  I would like to find a starter that works well with...
I don't think you have to eat chicken or beef to have a healthy diet.  But I think they can be part of a healthy diet if used properly (properly sourced and in small(er than most American diets) quantities).   My husband (who used to eat way too much meat, in my opinion) and I recently cut out animal products for several months, and then started reintroducing them gradually.  We do some eggs, but not daily.  We do some cheese, butter, and other dairy, but not daily. ...
1love4ever - I just read around here that it was okay to cap them, and I thought I'd try it.  I don't really like how things tend to get funky at the top when they're exposed to air -- I always wonder how good it is to skim white mold, or whatever it is off the sauerkraut and then eat what's beneath.  I know everyone says that's how to do it, but it kinda grosses me out.  Also, if the lids are on tightly, they don't leak all over the counter as they ferment and expand...
As the pp said, you can cover with a cloth when fermenting at room temperature.   I just made dilly beans in a canning jar with the lid on, and I really liked the results.  They did build up quite a bit of gas, though.   Once they're in the fridge they should slow way down and you should be able to leave them without a problem, I would think.  I leave my kimchi without touching it for months sometimes.   Oh, dilly beans, if you're interested: I packed clean...
Coming alive = growing.  Split lentils will not grow.  Whole legumes will.  Soaking results in chemical changes that occur because the seed is sprouting.   I have read that split legumes and red lentils (are they split?) do not benefit from soaking, and I think, that lentils are fairly low in whatever kind of acid soaking is altering.  I still soak mine, I guess out of habit.  Soaking certainly has an effect even if the thing can't grow, it is still absorbing water,...
I just ran across this site http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/ which has a trouble-shooting guide based on different symptoms, including taste.  Maybe it can help.
To get an alfalfa sprout that looks like what you might buy in the store, I think it takes more like 5 days.  You should definitely see some growth within the first 2-3 days.  Then, when the little cotyledons (look like little leaves) come out, you can put them in the light to green up for a day or two.  I often let them grow for a week from the first soak, but start eating them on day 4 or 5...put anything that's left on day 7 in the fridge.   I'm sure grow time depends...
I love them in a potato leek soup. Stir fry. My mom made an amazing nettle pie (like spinach pie) this spring. Anywhere you use spinach or other cooked greens.  They taste great, and similar to spinach but with a rougher texture. They're awesome in lasagna. If you eat eggs, they're great in egg dishes as well.   Oh, and to make a tincture, chop up the herb, put it in a jar, cover with alcohol (I like brandy for tinctures), shake it a couple times a day,...
Um, water?   Once we wean from our mothers, we do not need to be drinking milk of any sort.  Better to eat whole foods and drink water.   That said, we use almond milk or flax milk.  Dh prefers flax, the kids and I prefer almond.  I like soy milk, but I don't like to eat unfermented soy, so we don't generally use it.  I think almond milk has a nice, neutral flavor.  Whatever you choose, I recommend you choose one that is unsweetened...these products are an easy...