or Connect

Posts by Shami

My friend just told me about her son being bullied in a small private school in about the 2nd or 3rd grade.  She pulled him out and put him in the public school and he soared.  He had tons of people to be friends with and his grades were great.  He's graduated now and doing wonderfully.  
Yep this is the time I am thinking to put her to bed, but that means she won't see her Daddy most week nights. And I am realizing that I won't see her all day for 6 straight hours.  That makes me a little sad and nervous.  I can't believe she is going to kinder.  
I am not a neat freak (most days my living room looks like Toys r Us exploded in my house), but I do have a little organization when it comes to toys.  I don't have large rooms or a play room that they can destroy.   I have bins.  All dress up clothes go in one.  All accessories (shoes, purses, jewelry) go in another.  All dolls in one, all baby doll clothes in another.  You get the point.  And yes, it is an investment in plastic or cloth bins.  Ziplock bags for puzzle...
I agree with pp...do it for the whole family.  Make healthy changes because it is good for the whole family so she isn't singled out.  My pediatrician tries to help us every visit with nutrition and exercise.   She says comfort food is anything you make with love.  A whole milk greek yogurt parfait with blueberries and nuts/seeds sweetened with a little honey is comfort food.   And try to make family activities together.  Instead of movie and a popcorn, go for...
I had a long detailed post that just vanished, ugh!   First, it is not her fault.  Her body is insulin resistant.  Check out Gary Taubes,  Why we get fat, I think is the title, and he wrote Good Calories, BAd Calories.  Dieticians are going to tell her to eat 7 to 11 servings of whole grain products bread/pasta/rice which is exactly what is making her fat even though she is active and not junking it up all the time.  I would skip the dietician and fill her plate with...
I say toss it all!  LOL  I'm with ya!  When they go out...little by little...get rid of stuff.  Not all at once, but gradually.    I can't stand all the little insignificant toys, like happy meal toys.  They play with them for 5 minutes and then it becomes a pain in my foot.  So they get recycled when the kid isn't paying attention.   I mean really...they do not need all this cr#$!  
Thanks everyone!  I am thinking she will need to get in bed by  7 or 7:30 to be asleep by 8ish.  That seems sooooo early.  She averages about 11 hours of sleep per night.  Even thought our school is less than ten minutes,  I cannot rush her in the am.  It would be better to get her up at 7:30am and let her get ready at a slow pace.   I am just realizing how much this will change our life.  We normally get up at 8 or 9 and get to bed by 9.  I have a loose kind of...
Dd is starting kinder!  Oh my!  She will be five in Oct.  No naps since she was about 2.5.  Very rarely she will fall asleep in the car during a late afternoon trip and that is only if she didn't get enough sleep the night before.   So, what time would you put your kid to bed if they had school from 9am to 3pm?  How many hours does she need?   It takes her so long to wind down.  I read to her, but the whole time she is rolling, kicking, sitting up, falling down,...
bumping  
My second daughter is strong and at only 8 months old I am struggling to change her.  She twists and pushes off with her feet.   I stopped using the changing table.  I do it fast on the floor.  If she cooperates then it's great.  As soon as she starts to twist, I throw my leg over her chest.  I sort of pin her shoulders down with my leg.  It's really unfortunate that I have to do that, but I am not strong enough to hold her down and do the diaper.  I have to use my...