or Connect

Posts by yukionna

Definitely never induce vomiting when a dog has swallowed cooked chicken bones. Or any other bones for that matter. Ideally what should be done is to just give them a meal of their regular food to 'cushion' the bones as they go through the digestive tract. Like others mentioned, just keep an eye out for bloody stool or you dog acting lethargic or painful in the abdomen.
I had never even heard of this till I saw your post and honestly, my first reaction was "that's ridiculous". I've done many many dental cleanings myself when I was working as a vet tech and I know there's no way you can get a thorough cleaning of any animal's teeth without anesthesia. They just won't cooperate, and understandably so. So I went and did some research and found that this is apparently a popular procedure. I also found that the people performing this...
I've got a dog (freaky shepherd mix) and four cats. I'm honestly more of a cat person but once my girl passes on (hopefully not too soon but she's getting up there in age) I might go for a small dog. All of my cats came to me because I was seen as the 'sucker' in the vet clinics I worked at. All that was needed was for some orphan kittens to come in and be in danger of euthanasia and I'd take them in. I've fostered a total of 13 newborn (or nearly newborn) kittens and...
I agree with Katie Bugs Mama. She's probably gotten past the point of aspirin helping with the pain. Talk to your vet about possibly getting her on some prescriptions, more than likely Rimadyl will be offered. Please don't try increasing the dose of aspirin yourself or using any stronger human meds. Especially ibuprofen, since it can kill her. I'm sure you wouldn't do that but it never hurts to mention it
I actually have a cat who had that same problem when I took him in as a kitten. Constant diarrhea, not thriving, and just plain miserable. You can give them plain yogurt to help get their digestive system back on track. Most cats love it but you may have to force feed some. Ask your vet the amount they would recommend giving her. Also...has anyone even done a fecal on her? Where they take a sample of her poo and examine it under the microscope. That's the only way they're...
You say she has arthritis, I'm sure that's not helping her to be comfortable at night. Have you spoken to your vet about prescribing some pain meds for her? Where is she sleeping? If she's not in your bedroom, maybe being allowed to sleep near you will help ease her mind.
Unless you're planning to board your dog anytime soon, don't worry about the bordetella. As for the distemper, if you're uncomfortable doing it at the time of the surgery, go ahead a wait. Ask about making an appointment a couple weeks down the line. Heck, if you're brave you can do it yourself. The vaccine itself only costs about $10 and is usually available at feed stores. I vaccinate all my animals myself and it saves me a LOT of money in vet visits. And I just want to...
My daughter's first birthday party is actually next weekend. I'll just be having close family over but I am going a little all out. I bought themed party items and will be decorating the house. I even joked to my mom about renting a pony and a magician (but no clowns, terrifying!). Really, the first birthday or so is more for the parents' sake than anything so I figure I might as well have some fun with it before she gets old enough to want it her way! I'll be going with...
If you can avoid treating mom with flea medication do so. It's not good for the kittens. The best thing to use for washing kittens is Baby Shampoo, it's perfectly harmless. Also, invest in a flea comb and use it on them once a day. You can kill the fleas you get by putting them in a small bowl of water with dish soap in it. If you live neat eucalyptus trees, get some of the leaves and put them in the area where the mom and kittens sleep. Fleas hate the smell and will not...
Yeah those little traps are basically harmless like your vet said. A little interesting fact too. You know those little packets that say "Do Not Eat" that are in food items or whatever to keep them fresh? Don't freak out if your dog or cat eats them. They'll be fine