or Connect

Posts by Gale Force

I don't know about the recommendations of the FTCLDF. On one hand, keeping the milk in the house seems like a really clever recommendation. On the other, considering the importance of immediate cooling for spoilage and pathogen growth management, if the dairy is implicated in an outbreak, that warrant will be extremely easy to get and the whole gig will be up. If this came from FTCLDF, it appears not to be a fully-formed idea.
Ewwww on the freezer stash. I have no idea but I wouldn't use it. I'm not a skimmer either, but I do strain it through a strainer before using it.
I have not found a yogurt that I like for this, but I have used the Yogourmet yogurt starter and it sets up really well. It's really great with milk that's not homogenized IMO because of that great cream layer on the top. Using a starter like that definitely adds to the expense and the total cost ends up approach store prices. Amanda
If you are a good baker, you should be able to work something out for the sandwiches. I have a recipe somewhere but I don't think it's on this computer. I find that I can use far more whole wheat flour in breads with a sourdough recipe than I ever could with yeast recipes. I make "quick bread" types breads with 100% whole wheat/spelt. We've made sandwich bread too. Do you have a starter? If not, you can use baker's yeast and make a "cheater's starter" just to get...
Do use some in scrambled eggs. Just sautee them in a bit of oil and add the eggs. It's fantastic
I don't know how common the donut thing is but they would have to be organic donuts for an organic dairy On the GBS complication from campylobacter, it's a 1 in 1,000 chance if you have a campy infection. Quite a few raw milk dairies have had campy outbreaks, including Organic Pastures and Alexandre Eco Dairy here in California. I don't if Alexandre was pasture-based but its owners are WAPF chapter leaders so I doubt the cows were getting many donuts. In any case, campy...
I found a site that has complied fermentation recipes from the Internet: vegetable fermentation.
You don't have to heat to 175. I think it's more like 150 but I'd have to look it up. The reason for heating the milk is to kill the bacteria to create a clean slate for the starter. If you don't heat the milk that high you will get an inconsistent yogurt -- it may not have the flavor or consistency. For yogurt, I really like it made from pasteurized milk better. In my case, I wouldn't pay the premium for the raw. Some other ladies have had more luck with raw yogurt
I wonder if there is too much moisture in your kitchen. We've dried herbs in ours but it's very big and open. We actually dry most now in a big porch room that does get quite a bit of sun and it's fine.
Anyone who mills her own flour to bake bread is 90% of the way there. There are techniques for beans and other grains as well. The ladies here have a lot of that nailed. I sell a paper on the food science behind the different types of high phytic acid food that has techniques and recipes for anyone who wants to dig deeper. The link should be somewhere in my sig link farm.