or Connect

Posts by queencarr

As most of you know, we received a surprise call about a baby at the end of November. As the shock and OMGoodness' wore off, we decided to go for it, that things would work themselves out as they should. DH works full time in the military and is eligible to retire this summer but plans to stay in another 2 years while I finish school, and I am a full time graduate student with about 2 1/2 year lefts in my program. I take about 6 hrs distance ed (videotaped lectures plus...
I personally would not give her a heads up to anything in an email or by phone (or even have any contact at this point)--"I would rather discuss it in person with Dr. X present" repeated ad nauseum. You will want all interactions to be witnessed by that 3rd person in case it gets ugly or she threatens you with in any way. Plus, if she truly doesn't know what it is all about, then you don't want to give her a chance to formulate a reasonable, but false, explanation. By...
You might check with local hospice and see if they either could use them or knew of someone who could. I know that at one point, the one where we used to live could take unopened bottles of medication or supplies to give to someone without insurance to use in their last days. I am assuming that the needle has a breakable seal, though. Hmmm, you might also check if you have any indigent care medical programs in your area or even medical missions groups through churches.
Quote: Originally Posted by Valian The example of locking a crying child in their room and waiting just outside until they completely stop and are ready to 'be nice' is written about an 18 month old. Love and Logic strategies were developed for teens and older kids who are capable of logical thinking and following through, in their minds, from actions to consequences. This allows them to make real choices and I can see how it does give them power back...
No problem I was honestly skeptical of them before I put them on. My size 4-6 friend suggested them to my size 14-16 self, because they looked so great on her and fit so well. But I LOVE them; enough that I am considering get another pair or 2, and ditching the rest of my jeans. I will warn you that they are a bit longer than typical jeans, so you will probably not be able to wear ballet flats or something with them. But my slip on clogs had enough height
For jeans, have you checked the Gap? I just discovered a style there (that has probably been around for years but it is new to me) called Long and Lean. It is low waisted, but seems to not be too bulky elsewhere and actually fits nicely below the waist without giving "muffin top". They are my new favorite. Otherwis, I know they had several other cuts of jeans; maybe something is similar to the ones you liked?
Ok, dm, that make a lot of sense. I think I like the basic philosophy of the approach as I understand it from this and prior conversations. But I can see how, like many different parening techniques, the method could be used without the philosophical motivation behind it, and be misused. Kind of like how "AP" is used sometimes to justify being overly permissive and not have boundaries or limits while the kids are rude, disrepectful, and walk all over the parents For...
Beth, If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about it for your family? Feel fee to PM if you prefer I have heard of nothing but praise for this book so far. Also, what ages is the early childhod version targetted to?
I would second the carrier idea--practical as a "travel gift" so that dates don't really matter, as will likely be well used long after they come home. If you wanted to do something for the shower, you could still do something small or more "traditional" like clothes or diapers, and include something small for each of the boys. But really, sharing in their joy and frustrations with them is probably enough at this point. However, I think a gift is certainly thoughtful,...
I keep seeing that book recommended, including at our adoption training seminar this past weekend. I think I may have to go get it. Even if it is not something that I need to use right now, it soulds like a good "toolbox" approach. TBH, this is similar to what we do already with our bio child and his chores. It works really well, and by making him responsible for his own actions and the choice to do or not do them his own, he takes a lot of pride in getting done...