or Connect

Posts by emmalala

Hi there, I would love some tips on buying a machine! I have a Singer from the 80s but DD is asking for her own machine... A friend of hers has a Hello Kitty one which I assume is junk, but how can I tell? What should I look for? Is it true that brand names are not helpful, that each mfg has some junky ones? And does "great for beginner" mean "you will be frustrated if you sew more than 3 straight seams" I mostly make curtains, mittens, costumes, skirts. My...
I have been away a while and also lost track of interesting fabric shops that are online. Didn't this forum used to have a sticky with materials sources? If not, can anyone help me get started finding fabric again? Thank you!
Thank you for your replies!!! Now that I have a little background and some anecdotes about how it can work, I feel much better! I'm planning to get the school to explain the details of what this particular situation will be like. ETA: I visited the school & talked to the principal. She is treating this as a teaching adventure, so the teachers get all the aides & support each would get, they are both in the classroom all the time, and she showed me the presentation that...
Thank you for your replies - it seems less spooky now. Although I get the impression that the children are somewhat older? Could I ask how big each class is? Is the rule of thumb 20:1? This is new to our schools, and there is only one team-taught class in the grade. So dd will be going from a class of 18 to a class of 40. Also I am not sure if there is an aide. We had budget cuts and they may be relying on parents volunteering dd had a "bad" 1st grade and I am so...
OK, it's the last day of school (public) & now I know that my dd will be in a team-teaching class next year. This is new to me and all I know is that there are 40 kids & 2 teachers... My initial reaction is horror - I don't see how that could work! Followed by some more personal reactions related to my dd's school experience so far - she's not had a great school year, for a variety of reasons. I would really welcome some info from a family that has experience of...
robinCBN, we have the same situation. 3 kids, ibuprofen works on only 2 of them & has no effect on the 3rd, she needs tylenol. Also I have read that the damage from either is cumulative. (Not that we use a lot but at night to help them sleep or if the fever is super-high in the daytime)
Has anyone tried linen for an outer? I have an old dress and was thinking of making a closed bag of linen, with a slipcover of something nicer. I thought that the linen could tolerate greater heat than cotton - it is the hottest setting on my iron.
What kind of size are you making? I am curious about doing these for gifts also
We and our kids walk a ton. We have both a Bob double and an old single jogger. Now they are 8 6 3 and even 3 usually rides only when super-tired or sick. Mostly we haul gear but use it as a "sag wagon" But in the past, sometimes we would, for short stretches, stack two in the single, or let a third sit on the double. Just to make a break or take a little rest. This depends so much on the family and the individual child. But for ours, we got by with just joggers.
I wrote this yesterday when there were only 2 replies but couldn't post until now. Please forgive me if it's irrelevant! Just writing in solidarity because yes it can be hard to find the people you and your family need to connect with. Our children attend public school and I am reasonably satisfied that they have kind friends. A few things I am learning as I go along, and maybe to mention them will help others. Get involved at the school so that you can get to know the...