or Connect

Posts by Erlaine

Wahhh, this is such an unoriginal problem, I know.  DD is 5, homeschooled, and we live with no TV (though she does get some very limited screen time, like old episodes of Mister Rogers at bedtime on my computer).  She spends about 15-20 hours a week over at my in-laws' house, including a sleepover once a week, all of which time she loves.   MIL and I have talked about what I don't want DD to have/get/be exposed to, but the more I try to iterate my feelings, the more I...
...by this mom who is having new problems.   I posted a couple months ago about wanting to nightwean DD, who was then just under 2 years.  We followed Dr. Jay's plan and about half our nights now she goes down around 8-8:30 and doesn't wake up until almost morning.  The other half she wakes up maybe once - sometimes only 45 minutes after I put her down, sometimes not until 3 am.  She's a little unpredictable that way, but it's mostly been very good.   The problem...
Okay, here's an update for LROM et al - DH/DP was on board from the beginning when I said I just didn't feel like I was being a good mom when DD wanted to nurse in the middle of the night. I often felt like I was going to say something hurtful or use an angry tone with her - or god forbid worse - and the feelings were pretty stressful, and I knew it was time to take care of myself so I could be a better mom. So he was okay with it right from the start. As far as being...
savyjoel, fyi it's not a book, it was a link to this site: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html, which has a good solid plan. A good book is the No Cry Sleep Solution, and I think the Dr. Jay plan basically follows the things that Elizabeth Pantley, the author, talks about as gentle tactics for getting your baby to STTN. But she doesn't give a step by step guideline so much as many suggestions, so I like Dr. Jay, it helps me in the middle of the night to...
quick update - we are 3 nights into Dr. Jay and last night was definitely an improvement over the first two. I'm not sure I'm ready to move on to phase two, which is supposed to happen on night four, so we might do one more night of phase one. But so far so good.
Thanks for the kind words. Very helpful! I know we need a plan and to stick to it. In the middle of the night when I'm like "I can't take this anymore, we need to nightwean NOW," it becomes this sort of half-hearted thing, and she cries and then I end up nursing her, and I KNOW I'm setting us back but I'm totally stuck in that moment. With the helpful thoughts in mind that we are not depriving her of nutrition, that we're assisting her on her way to self-soothe...
thanks very much...pm'ing you
DD now wakes up and asks for papa...but if she doesn't also get mama (and, more importantly, nana), she freaks out. I'm not doing well with this today. Last night she nursed to sleep just fine, but then woke in the middle of the night (no idea what time...4?) and was nursing almost violently. For a LONG time. She was tweaking my other nipple and nursing and tweaking and nursing and I was getting more and more impatient and finally just said NO MORE NANA right now and...
thanks everyone. Looks like we are going to take a short break. DH is just not mentally up for being screamed at for 2-4 hours in the middle of the night every night. Putting her to bed is not so bad, it's the putting her back to sleep that she has such a hard time with. Part of the problem is that we EC. So she's very used to peeing with me, while she nurses, on her little nightstand potty. She's unused to peeing in a diaper or getting up to pee. So when she wakes...
thanks everyone. Looks like we are going to take a short break. DH is just not mentally up for being screamed at for 2-4 hours in the middle of the night every night. Putting her to bed is not so bad, it's the putting her back to sleep that she has such a hard time with. Part of the problem is that we EC. So she's very used to peeing with me, while she nurses, on her little nightstand potty. She's unused to peeing in a diaper or getting up to pee. So when she wakes...