or Connect

Posts by rahrahgobg

I have a question.   I am considering giving the DTaP to my children.  My oldest was vaccinated until the MMR vaccine showed up in the schedule.  My 2nd child had 2 shots.  The Hep B in the hospital at day one and the 2nd shot in the series that had the Hep B in it.  My 3rd has not had any vaccines.  My youngest is 4, almost 5.  My second child is special needs, and I am a little paranoid about giving him shots.  I am not saying vaccines gave him his issues, but I am...
Quote: Originally Posted by Momma Aimee what basic Phonics program did people like .. without hand writting ... i know Theo's fine motor is not ready to write anything, but by the the summer I'd like to start simple phonics with him -- but i am so confused by all teh programs ... Deciding to homeschool is a very overwhelming decision to make, and it takes time to figure out what you are doing, so I think it is great that you are starting your...
Catherine Levison wrote a few books called "A Charlotte Mason Education" and "More Charlotte Mason Education". It's explains it pretty well in Laymen terms. I want the Charlotte Mason Companion book. It's on my list. You can probably check the Levison books out from your library. It seems those who like WTM incorporate CM and vice versa. They intertwine them. Vicki
I spend a good amount of time driving, and I'm in a big city. Traffic. There are so many opportunities and things to do and homeschooling in the city is much easier than in a small town, so I will take the driving any day over not having much to do. I am moving from a small town to the 4th largest city in the US. For those of you who have a hard time with housework, try Flylady. It's all about baby steps, but some of her ideas can help manage your housework. Like...
Do you have a YMCA that has child care? We can put our kids in child care 2.5 hours/day. There is no extra charge at my Y for child care, but some YMCA's do charge extra for child care. You could go to the Y, put your 3yo in child care and do some lessons with your 9yo. Then put your 9yo in child care and go workout. Win/win for everyone, and you get a needed break from both. You have to stay on the Y premises, but this could be a 'cheap' option for you. Our Y...
I second the Building Foundations book. A college professor wrote it. It is meant for K-2. He is in the process of writing another book for up to grade 5 to compliment this one. He has a Yahoo! Group to, so you can ask him questions ant time. For preK last year I started doing science as 'is it cloudy, rainy, sunny,etc'. Then my son asked how rain is made, and we got books on rain. Then he was obsessed with the sun, and that led to love of planets. So if you...
Hi I have an ARD meeting in a few weeks for my 3.5 year old. I believe he qualifies for services. Not sure I will accept all they offer because their PPCD class is 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. I think that is too much for him. He has speech delays. A few minor sensory things, but he is pretty normal other than that. I think anyways. Anyways, I would like to record the meeting - not necessarily telling them that I am. Of course if I don't acknowledge, it could...
My 5YO is easy. I do somewhat structured lessons and it takes 2-3 hours a day. My husband thinks teaching him is taking away time I could be spending with the younger 2. I don't really think my 21 month old has issues. I counted her words yesterday and she said about 25. She was repeating a few more things today. She was playing with a train and saying 'choo choo'. I just think she hasn't gotten her word explosion yet, but I think it's coming. She said a lot of new...
I have a 3YO who is speech delayed. Understands everything, just doesn't speak well. I also have a 21 month old that says maybe 30ish words. My husband thinks my 21 month old has the same problem as my 3YO. She doesn't. He has apraxia of many types - it's getting better, but she doesn't have any of those signs. She also doesn't lose words like he did. I know children develop speech at many stages. But he thinks I should put my 5YO in public school once we move so I...
I'm glad it's not just me. I read Dumbing Us Down. The first time I checked it out from the library and just couldn't get into it. It was so dry. I felt like I had ADD reading it (and I don't). I just couldn't stay focused. I checked it out 2 years later and read it and remembered why I didn't read it before. I got through it, but it was hard. The thing his book lacked was personal experience or example writing...you know make a point, and then give a true life...