or Connect

Posts by Stephenie

Did I give up some time to myself, sure. But it is SO worth it.  I get to watch my babies make connections, learn and grow. I get to learn alongside them. We are not tied to a school schedule. Also, because 2 of my 3 have special needs, this means I am not fighting for services, attending IEP meetings, driving out to the school multiple times a week for the inevitable battles that are part of special needs kids in the public school system. Obviously, that does not apply...
I am really disappointed with how the church is handling this. A church, of all places should figure out how to work with children of all abilities. My son has special needs (asperger's, SPD, ADHD, muscle tone and coordination issues, a reciprocal language delay) and is homeschooled as well. Our church has been nothing but accommodating. When he moved from the toddler room to the pk/k room where there was more structure (on time, with his age group) the kids' pastor...
We finally picked a name. At least a first name. Aviel (ah ve el) and we're going to call him Avi. 
I could see another course being conflicting if using hypnosis. You want to train your mind to go straight to hypnosis for getting through the birth- if you are taught other methods you may feel conflicted in birth and you really need to focus for the hypnosis to work. 
I love Ina May.  Heart and Hands is really good if you really want to know a lot about pregnancy and birth. I read it to prepare for when I start midwifery school (was planning that this year until we decided on baby number three... now that will be at least 3 years away) but I think a lot of birthy mamas would really enjoy it. I also think that "The Birth Partner" is a good read. "Birthing from Within" has some good stuff even if you aren't going to take the class/...
I used hypnosis for childbirth last time around and had several practice hypnosis sessions before the birth. It was an independent program that my friend/ doula actually wrote herself (she was a certified hypnotherapist) I highly suggest hypnosis and have heard good things about both hypnobabies and hypnobirthing. 
Out of the blue today he asked to make Valentine cards! I was pretty shocked, but I quickly got out the paper, crayons, scissors and glitter glue before he could change his mind. He stayed interested for a good 20 minutes.    We try where we can to work art into his life. We take him to events at the local art museum - they open up early three or four times a year just for kids on the autism spectrum. It's a really neat program. Not all of it works for him, once...
I'm just aiming for family to come when baby is a newborn. I would hate for them to have to fly home with me still pregnant and have them miss their chance to see baby as a newborn. I am due July 22, both my kids were a week early. They'll probably come the first or 2nd week of August. 
It was always being discussed around my son- his doctors, therapists etc mentioned it all the time... plus he was reading before his dx and started aba somewhere with a big sign that said "Autism Treatment Center" so we told him at four. I just told him "Some kids have blue eyes and some kids don't. Some kids are short and some kids are tall. Some kids have autism and others don't. It is not good or bad, it's just part of who you are like your hair and your eyes and your...
I think at some point photography may be good. He had one of the "kid tough" digital cameras. He loved it, but apparently, it was not "tough" enough because he broke it. I am actually a professional photographer, so I would love to do that with him when he is bigger. His father is an artist as well, so I am sure that is why it's hard for me to accept my child not loving art.    We did try reading one of the Magic Treehouse books together recently (took turns reading...