or Connect

Posts by caseykn

Over the last several months, my 5 year old has occasionally asked to nurse again. She only asks about it when her little sister (who's almost 2) is nursing, so I think she feels a little jealous and wants my time like her sister gets in those moments. I've defrosted frozen milk I'd pumped and she didn't like it, saying she wanted warm milk from me. Usually I just distract her with something else and she forgets but just yesterday I decided that she had asked enough...
I love library story times because the library employees are always so engaged with the kids and provide lots of movement and activity and interactions with the story, address the kids by name, invite them to participate, etc, especially for pre-school aged kids. I think that having your own child being clingy and sitting on your lap would detract from the other kids and families' experiences. I totally understand your dilemma, though. I run a summer camp and the weeks...
Hugs, mama! This sounds like it's been traumatic for both of you! Have you talked with the teacher about this? Does she have any suggestions? Your daughter is not the first child to have separation anxiety and the teacher should be helping her feel comfortable and secure in the mornings. Is there an activity she especially likes that she can be distracted with? Can the teacher take your place by sitting near her and talking to her while you leave? I know the teacher has...
I went with Catherine Schaeffer from A Gentle Beginning and loved her! She's a naturopath and is also a CNM but just does home births. She's really great.
My oldest starts kinder this fall as well, though we have a few more weeks until her first day. I'm planning on doing anything special in the morning, not after school since I'm anticipating that she'll be tired/cranky/overwhelmed by the day's events and may not be in the mood for anything more than some quiet time in the afternoon and evening. Also, if for some reason she's upset about something that happened on her first day, a "yay, you went to school today!" party...
I'm the director of a summer camp and that skit would not be acceptable. I'm not totally anti-gun and don't think that skit condones gun violence or anything, but is certainly seems in bad taste. As a camp director, I'm fully aware that we can't make every kid/family happy 100% of the time but we can take measures to lower the chance that someone will be upset or offended by something that we do. Kids come from all different backgrounds and have many different...
I'm sorry you're going through this, mamaruga. I am not divorced but want to chime in as a child whose parents divorced when I was 3 or 4 and they kept it really positive for my brother and I.   My parents argued and fought a lot before they finally divorced but I was young enough that I really don't remember it. I remember my parents sitting me down and telling me that they were not going to be living together any more but I was 3 or 4 and my brother was 1 and I...
My daughter turned 5 in June and I think that only in the last few weeks she's really headed towards staying dry every night. Like your child, mine was totally day-time dry just after she turned 2. She totally initiated potty learning herself and it was a breeze. But the night-time wetting has been a different story. Night-time peeing really is a totally different thing. She stopped wearing pull-up type undies for good maybe 6 months ago. Before that we went back and...
We selectively vax so this comes up. My 4 year old is very protective of her little sister and has asked to go out of the room and not see her get her shots. Coming up this month is the first visit where they'll both be due for some shots. My oldest is turning 5 and she hasn't had any shots since she was 3 so she's a little anxious and my 18 month old is aware enough now to really notice what's going on with her sister. I'm not sure how we'll handle it. Probably do the...
I'm glad his first day went well! Leaving your child and being at work or school is stressful enough without adding in finding time/space to pump. It sounds like he'll get what he needs when he's with you.