or Connect

Posts by wondertwins

Wow, your post could have been about my 5 year old daughter. She no longer nurses, but everything else, including the 2-year-old sibling, spot on. She has a twin brother, and it almost makes it more difficult when he reacts in a way I think is "appropriate". I know what some of her triggers are, they watch dinosaur train on my computer and ALWAYS want to watch more than one episode. When time is tight, we talk before I turn it on, and all agree that they will just watch...
My two year old does this, and though he has awesome receptive language, he is not very verbal. The hitting is usually a sign that we need to slow down and be present. He doesn't have the words to tell me what he needs, so after reminding him that hitting hurts and we use gentle hands, I try to connect with him and figure out what he's trying to communicate. I think sometimes even verbal toddlers don't know how to convey their needs and strike out to get your attention....
Good luck! With the right demographics, your plan could be really successful. We paid to have our glass picked up in the last town we lived in. I believe it was a one man operation. He supplied a bin and charged $20 a month. If we had more glass than fit in the bin, then we were charged more. I think if you supply a trash can and pick the recycling up weekly then it would be a doable service. The person who picked up our glass sorted on-site. Would your current vehicles...
I have not BTDT, but am reading Love in a Time of Homeschooling by Laura Brodie. The family pulled their oldest daughter out of public school in 5th grade and homeschooled for a year, the author likens it to her daughter taking a sabbatical. HTH
Thanks for all of your responses. The real problem is with me, I have a hard time leaving things open-ended, I really and truly like (need) concrete answers. I can't imagine not figuring out whether I"m homeschooling for kindergarten or  pre-k, child led schooling in the fall. Not that kindergarten won't be child led, but I'll be paying attention to where they "should" be, in terms of kindergarten standards, when that time comes. If I didn't have it in my head that they...
Thanks Chitown Tracy, for the fiar review and sharing your experience. I was a preschool teacher for 7 years and have a master's in elementary education. My time student teaching and later subbing in the elementary school, this was before children, made me realize how much I loathe "the system". When the local school switched to all day kindergarten, I became determined to homeschool. I wish we had a private school option, we've lived here 8 years and have seen 3 private...
Thanks SundayCrepes, I came across two of the links while researching this idea and appreciate your response. I would really like to hear from others who have BTDT, and what your experiences have been. I guess knowing that we do not plan to homeschool past 2nd or 3rd grade makes the experience different from those who are more flexible.
My twins will turn 5 in June and my plan has always been to hs for the minimum of k-1 (DH's idea to get them in the "system"). After learning of a friends decision to wait a year to enroll her DS, also with a June bday, in Kindergarten, I have been researching this idea and am coming to the conclusion that it would be best for my children as well. Not as much for now, but I am thinking of emotional development for junior high and high school.   My only hesitation to...
edit 11/11
I thought for sure I would read our solution, but maybe it's not as practical or common as I'd thought! We sleep on a memory foam mattress, with baby in between us, where the "snuggle nest" is situated, and DH and I sleep with separate covers. Our twins slept one on each side of me, for ease of nursing and it just made sense for DH and I to have our own blankets (his is a sleeping bag). We actually like the set up, we can do our own temp control. The baby sleeps next to...