or Connect

Posts by ChristieB

I have to admit that I haven't had any issues with DH and food. We eat SOOO far from "normal", and we've made our decisions together for the most part. But then, we've been sort of forced into some of it by life events (like the grass-fed beef: our oldest can't tolerate grain-fed beef; and we eat no grains, because our oldest can't tolerate them). But I have had issues with some family members visiting (the ILs). Ooh, they put up a fuss! We don't allow gluten in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by rosewater Not offended--we're all busy moms and sometimes I go weeks without coming on here! No the brown paper bags aren't necessary,you could totally use paper towels. You could also probably use regular towels and just launder them, but they might end up with grease stains. Also, you could probably just set up a cooling rack on top of a tray and put them on there to drip, but they might end up with indents on them from...
Quote: Originally Posted by rosewater That'd be me Honestly, I just take a muffin recipe from the Bruce Fife book and instead of baking it, I use a small ice cream scoop (2-3teaspoons) and drop it into hot oil. It took some time figuring out the right temp, without a thermometer. Drain on brown paper bag. Then you can eat plain, or roll into sucanat/cinnamon. I also find they are better textured when cooled off. When still hot, they are crispy...
Quote: Originally Posted by Metasequoia She makes coconut flour donuts & deep fries them - YUM! I've got to have this recipe! Please?
It sounds like it would be a good fit for you. I own it. I do like it. But I haven't used it as much I probably should. It's just easier to make the same old same old. But it has good recipes (I rarely follow a recipe exactly, so I can't say I'm the best judge). They have a good selection of vegetable recipes. And some good meat recipes. I haven't delved as deep as I'd like, but they have a lot of good ideas for organizing your kitchen and shopping. They also...
Quote: Originally Posted by JacquelineR Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up there, cowgirl. Are you holding out on us? Share the wealth. Sorry, didn't mean to leave anyone out. I was just trying not to derail this thread any more than I already have. And I can't really say there's any "wealth" here, anyway. Here's what I sent via PM: I used to make GF bread, but haven't in a few years (we're grain-free now). I used a recipe in Bette Hagman's book...
That's cool, and it looks like they got it right. They even have grape leaves in there. I just might try their spice mix. It looks good. But they canned the pickles after fermenting them!!! There go the beneficials.
I don't have a Harsch crock (although I'm wanting one ), so I can't speak to that specifically. But I can tell you that botulism can't survive in an acid environment. And as for the length of fermentation, does it taste good to you? That's how I judge. I taste as it goes, and when it tastes right, it's done! It depends on how warm your kitchen is. The warmer it is, the faster it will ferment. So it's possible it went too long, since it's summer. But if you like it,...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom61508 much thanks. I've been doing a lot or researching on GF. Do you make your own bread? I PM'd you.
I consult with a classical homeopath from time to time, and he prescribes remedies. I'm glad you're going to try being more consistent with your natural methods and see what that accomplishes for you. I'm sure it will make a difference for you. Like I said, it's made a real difference for me. And like I said in an earlier post, if you need help with going GF, just ask. I'd be happy to help troubleshoot, and others here are GF too.