or Connect

Posts by ChristieB

Quote: Originally Posted by TonyaW Thanks...can you give me an idea of what you were eating to deal with the hypoglycemia. I can't seem to get my numbers above 110 even with the grain. Is that bad? I don't think 110 is bad. I don't think 100 is bad. Do you feel good at those numbers? I'd say to aim for 90 or above, although that's a fairly arbitrary number. My thinking is that it will give some room for falling without going too low, and I'm...
Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I don't know why that didn't register for me before. : No wonder you've been peeing more! What a happy turn of events; going from thinking that you have diabetes to learning that you're pregnant instead. I'm sorry, I don't know anything about avoiding GD, other than eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, and trying not to worry about it! Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mama I dealt w/ hypoglycemia...
It's late, and I'm tired, but I couldn't not respond a little (reading this while eating a snack). First of all, I'd like to remind everyone who is used to Type 1 and the dangers of lows, Tonya is NOT taking insulin. These low numbers are not nearly as dangerous for her as they are for someone taking insulin. And no, she won't end up with Type 1 if she doesn't get this under control. Type 1 is genetic, not from lifestyle (unless you include the fact that gluten and...
Life is super crazy right now. Sorry I haven't posted any recipes yet. And I'm so sorry, but I don't have time now, either. We will be gone alllll day tomorrow, but I will be back on Fri. with recipes (and probably some other thoughts). TonyaW, have you been able to get a blood glucose monitor? It would really be good to start testing ASAP (if you haven't already). Knowledge is power.
Quote: Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama I am rather confused about something that I have noticed with two different places that I get grassfed beef from. The first is one that we have been getting it from for quite a while. I am highly allergic to corn and rice and gluten intolerant. I have never had any digestive issues when eating the meat from this place. Recently, I found grassfed beef from another location not too far from us either. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by HennyPenny what about if they grow some variation of wheat in pastures they eat in? That's worth asking about - what grasses they use in their pasture. Quote: Originally Posted by HennyPenny p.s. they are often supplemented in inter or during feeding with a bit of hay - doesn't that have gluten? (this was my understanding why is why I always stay away from hay since I'm celiac) Hay is...
So many thoughts running around my head. : I'll try to be organized in this post, but I can't promise anything. First off, honey. Good raw honey, used in moderation isn't as bad as some think (in general - you should test yourself and see how your body reacts). To compare it with sugar, though, you can't just use equal quantities. Honey is sweeter than sugar, and I'd say you only need about half as much (I think recipe books recommend two thirds or three quarters as...
I'll post more tomorrow when I'm not up waaaay past my bedtime. I'm subscribing so I remember. But I did want to say that I agree with PaulaJoAnne. Then again, we're coming from a similar place. My ds has Type 1. One thing I'd like to add. Quitting gluten grains ASAP is, IMO, very important. If it takes you awhile to go off other grains, so be it, but stop the gluten now. It can cause Type 1, and from what I've read and seen in others of my family, it can...
We don't have meat chicks, and I understand that they're different. But what we did in terms of the feeder was to just use the tray, without the top with the holes, for about the first 3 wks. When we tried it at first with the holes, we could see that they were likely to injure/kill themselves. But as they grew, we thought it would probably be OK, and we were right (we watched to make sure, though). We got tired of them pooping and sleeping in the food tray, and they...
Yes, the heat light is still on them. But it's just on one side, so they can cool off if they need to. They seem very comfortable, moving around the whole brooder. They only huddle together when they're sleeping. And they mostly sleep in their warmed area. I'm certainly no expert, but they seem to be doing very well.