or Connect

Posts by ChristieB

So, I've heard folks throw around numbers/percentages, but I can't remember what they were. The folks who sold us half a cow are thinking that there was a mix up at the processor's, so I'm curious about this. This was a 900 lb. (approx.) cow, hanging weight was 480 (?), and now it looks like we've got 120 lbs. for our half. Does that sound right? We've never bought meat this way. The place we've been buying from always just sold it to us by the pound, processed....
I got half a cow, and requested the organ meats. This was the first time these folks did this. The processor they used is cutting some corners. : So, I got the organ meats today. They're not packed well (he just put them in produce bags with twist ties ). They're frozen. I'm going to need to thaw them at least partially so I can get them out of their bags. The liver is whole. How do I slice it up? I've never done it, since the other place where we get our meat...
Quote: Originally Posted by BeagleMommy I use a large glass roasting pan inside my roaster so my food doesn't touch the roaster itself. Please tell about your glass roaster! Thanks.
I've been studying a lot about raising chickens, in preparation for raising some ourselves. We live in the forest, so free ranging would mean an expensive way of feeding the wildlife out here. My plan is to make our own whole grain feed based on the suggestions on these pages (this site is a good resource, as is the Organic Chickens Yahoo group). I plan on making a gluten-free version, so that we don't get sick feeding the chickens. This page gives instructions for...
Yes, I got some started on the 15th. Now we wait! Here's what I did. I mostly followed Dom's plan (since it seemed easier ). I used 1 part honey to 3 parts water. I floated an egg to make sure the sugar content was right (based on Cristeen's book). I added the mother of vinegar I had, plus 1/4 cup coconut vinegar. It might have been better to use more, but since I also added the mother, I wasn't sure how much to use. I put it all in a half gallon jar (it's only...
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry to have been MIA. Our modem died last Sunday, so we were without internet. But now we're back up and running! I'm embarrassed to admit how dependent I am on the internet. Is "The All New Square Foot Gardening" significantly different from the one written about 20 years ago? We have it somewhere around here. I need to dig it out. That's a good suggestion about drainage. The rock isn't completely solid. There are cracks and...
We have very rocky ground here. In most places, there is solid rock just an inch or two below the suface, if that. Some places there's no soil at all, just rock. And no, we can't break up the rock without blasting. So, we're planning to make raised beds for gardening. Where do we start in "making" soil to fill the beds? We have some neighbors with horses, so we can get lots of horse manure. And they keep the old stuff separate from the new. We have quite a lot...
Quote: Originally Posted by krankedyann Gluten can cause more than digestive symptoms. I know two people who were diagnosed with MS and it resolved once they got off of gluten! Oh, I'm so jealous!! My feet stopped being numb, though, so that's something. I also know I'd be worse off if I were still eating gluten. But still, I can't help but be jealous.
How about boiled eggs? They keep well and would make nice breakfast food, or snacks or lunch, for that matter. I'm not sure about how long the meat will last, but I'd guess about 3-4 days. If you have ice packs all around it in your cooler, it will be fine for your train ride, and then you can put it in your fridge when you get there. I'd call the hotel and ask about the fridge you'll have in your room, and ask for another one/bigger one (dorm room size, with a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Taedareth DH has a similar situation, so may I ask a couple of questions? A couple years ago he had a stool test done and the results said there was a gluten intolerance. DH's doctor said Celiac and gluten intolerance are the same thing, but she also said that information about gluten issues at the time were limited at best. Anyway, DH has been GF since then and now he notices that when he accidentally eats something with...