or Connect

Posts by tbone_kneegrabber

She may not have said you were poor. She may have said "some families have two parents working and then have more money to spend on xyz an some have one parent at home and choose not to buy xyz" or she may have told her son that he is lucky his parents have enough money to do certain things. She may have pointed out ideas about different income. Or may have said something like "not everyone can afford to have a finished basement" An 8 year old is going to have a less...
That was similar to the way ds handled his transition to preschool.  Although he went from totally happy to go, to crying and miserable, back to happy to go.  When I met with his teachers they pretty much said that a lot of kids go through ups and downs and what is working now might not continue to work in 6 months with nothing external changing.  I know that ds likes to really know what is going to happen.  He needs to go somewhere multiple times before feeling like he...
I taught ds to do French Knitting/ Spool Knitting around 4.5. We made a spool out of a toilet paper tube, Popsicle sticks, and duct tape.  I had tried it with other kids and some of them like it young (4/5 and some don't-really depends on the kid).  But it is an easy, inexpensive way to start.  This page pretty much explains what we did: http://www.kidspot.com.au/kids-activities-and-games/craft-activities+1/winter-craft--make-a-french-knitting-machine+12037.htm
That's how I get almost all of my childcare. And I don't mind at all when someone says "sorry ant we have plans" or something. People ask me and we ask them. It's no big deal to be busy when someone asks you for a favor. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Philly Free School (http://www.phillyfreeschool.org/) is hosting an Open House on Thursday October 24th from 6-8pm to give prospective families an opportunity to see the school, meet staff, students, and current parents, learn about the Sudbury model, and ask questions. You can RSVP using the form attached, emailing learn@phillyfreeschool.org, or calling 215-218-9586.   At the Philly Free School, students ages 4-19 explore freely, think critically, and work...
The Philly Free School (http://www.phillyfreeschool.org/) is hosting an Open House on Thursday October 24th from 6-8pm to give prospective families an opportunity to see the school, meet staff, students, and current parents, learn about the Sudbury model, and ask questions. You can RSVP using the form attached, emailing learn@phillyfreeschool.org, or calling 215-218-9586.   At the Philly Free School, students ages 4-19 explore freely, think critically, and work...
Yes, you can go up the slide.  The playground is to be played on. I believe that slides, like stairs, go both up and down.  There is no "right way" to use it.  The same way you have to be considerate of others when you are doing anything you should be considerate when using the slide.  Is there possible danger?  Yes.  There is danger when kids walk past swings but I don't say "you can't swing because someone could walk in front of you and you could kick them"  I find the...
As a preschool teacher I have held many a crying child.  That's not CIO.  It's not CIO if your baby is crying in a parent's arms because they want the other parent.  It's not CIO if the baby is being held by a babysitter put still wants a parent. Its not CIO if *you* are holding your baby and they are still upset.   At the school where I worked we would usually establish a time limit with new families.  How long is too long for *your* kid to be upset?  Some families...
We were 2 blocks from preschool and now 2.4 miles from ds's new school.  
We didn't send ds to kindergarten last year but instead kept him in his mixed aged preschool 3 days/week.  Our plan was to see how it went and have the option to enroll him the following year in K or 1st grade.  Kindergarten is not mandatory where I live so we would be able to choose where to put him at 6 years old.