or Connect

Posts by tbone_kneegrabber

I assume you would not have been upset with someone if they had called the police because your baby was left in the car, right?  Sometimes people do forget their babies in the car.  My friend parked her car on a busy city street and walked several blocks to meet friends at a restaurant.  When she walked in we were all "where's the baby?" And she made a mad dash to get him.  It happens.  I think it is perfectly reasonable to see a baby strapped into a car seat with no one...
Can you give feedback to the place where you are getting the classes from?  As in, can you ask them if they have a policy around younger siblings and if they don't ask them to write one?  Or tell them that, while you'd enjoy signing up your kid for classes you feel like they aren't pulling their weight in providing the service you want to pay for.     If no one every offers constructive criticism to the facility they might think everyone is fine with the arrangement....
I would practice with shorter intervals and work up to longer intervals.  The hardest thing about amusement parks is that there is unpredictable wait times.  So they might be in line for 20-30 mins so if you said "two rides and meet us at the tea-cups" that could be an hour.  Also, it is really hard to hear your phone while around roller coasters!  We had multiple issues last year while at an amusement park of not being able to find each other and calling and calling...
One thing that I have come to notice with kids when they are first in group settings is that they have never really had to compete for limited resources before.  What I mean is, when you are at home playing with your kid and your kid wants to use the red car you let him have the red car, because you don't really care which car you use.  When your kid wants to sit on that specific part of the couch, you scoot over.  When your kid wants a green cup to drink out of you grab...
I have to say I didn't really like this article at all. But the thing that destroyed it for me was the line about "some homeschooling families are doing it on *only* $40k-$60k per year!" That is soooooo much more money than we have! If we knew we were going to be able to make $40k-$60k a year we would be golden! We wouldn't have to struggle to decide to continue homeschooling vs find two full time jobs (and we are both college degreed people imagine if we weren't) It was...
Now my kid is only 5.5 so I may not be terribly helpful.... I wonder if there is an online program that might be more engaging and do more of the explaining. Ds loves math and loves spending time on dreambox (which I think goes through "6th grade"). I'm sure there must be an equivalent pre-algebra program (haven't researched that far yet). That way he can work on it and get feedback without you. You could still remind him he wanted to do it but then you could do something...
You can always ask for her to look into a certified riding teacher who specializes in young kids as a requirement to any riding.
If his class is mixed aged does that mean he'd be in the same class whether he was in 1st or K?  If so, I would move him to 1st with the idea in place that he was having accommodations to meet him where he is.  If they are all together and break into reading groups he would be in an appropriate *for him* reading group.  If he is still working on letter recognition then he would then work with other kids who are still working on letter recognition (regardless of whether...
Picture books often use much more complex language than beginner chapter books.  Beginner chapter books (Magic Treehouse style) are written for kids to read to themselves (although many people enjoy them as read alouds).  However, picture books are intended for adults to do the reading.  Picture books often use words that wouldn't be included in a book for kid to read alone.  
I second this.  Ranger Rick is a decent nature magazine and doesn't have ads.  Ranger Rick Jr. is good too (for a younger group) DS is 5.5years old and likes Ranger Rick Jr, I think he's probably ready to move on to Ranger Rick because I read it aloud anyway.   I like the Cricket publications. We used to get Ladybug, we get Click, no we get Appleseeds (I don't care for Appleseeds and won't be renewing it).  I'm interested in Ask.