or Connect

Posts by AKA_PI

Thanks everyone for your insight and encouragement. The teacher actually called me yesterday and wants his father, myself, her and the director of the center to meet to discuss my DS. I guess she still feels that he is not showing any progress in sitting still or paying attention to her for long periods of time. He still does great in small centers time (which is when they get to work a smaller group on an individual activity). We had a long discussion yesterday and the...
ANOTHER UPDATE!!!   I spent about two hours at the daycare center observing my son and I noticed a few things: He did much better about staying on the carpet today during circle time. Although he didn't get up, he at least stayed on the carpet which was good! He was noticably fidgety after 10 minutes of sitting in circle time. Additionally, it seems that was the case for most of the other kids as well. They were all antsy and two or three were getting up but...
Thanks for the well wishes.    I agree with your statements. I met with the teacher again today and expressed my concerns and some of the statements and she assured me (as well as the assistant director of the school) that this is normal for a 4 year old and that we will just give it time for him to get on the same page as other kids. It turns out the he is the youngest child in the class and that all others turned 4 last year! I agree that the expectations may have been...
UPDATE!!!!   I spoke with my son's teacher about midday yesterday and learned that he had yet another rough day. Lots of not paying attention and running around. I could tell she was a little annoyed even though she didn't want to say it. As a Pre-K teacher, I'm sure she has seen this and I'm curious to know what she's implemented before with other children to rectify it. Nonetheless, I told her that I will be visiting the class today, first watching him from the...
  He is definitely an "active learner" although he becomes bored easily with things. My son enjoys a challenge and I often wonder if maybe I've overtaught him (is that possible)? I am definitely going to keep my eye on what is going on and see if maybe there are some changes the teacher and I can up with that may benefit him. 
UPDATE!!!!   I spoke with my son's teacher about midday yesterday and learned that he had yet another rough day. Lots of not paying attention and running around. I could tell she was a little annoyed even though she didn't want to say it. As a Pre-K teacher, I'm sure she has seen this and I'm curious to know what she's implemented before with other children to rectify it. Nonetheless, I told her that I will be visiting the class today, first watching him from the...
Thank you for your insight and information. I really appreciate that.    His classroom total is 24 kids and 2 teachers. They have outdoor play about 3 times a day and work indoors in things in 20 minute increments.   I really think the root of the issues are the fact that he just recently turned 4 and things have gone from a little less structured to structured. Not to mention he is having to learn 2 new teachers with very different personalities from his...
Those are great suggestions and reccomendations. I didnt consider that he may be bored. Hes very advanced for his age so he need to move on to other things. She has been teaching prek for years and is highly recommended other teacher
I did not imply that his teacher was a busy body; I was talking about him. my son is like any other 4 yr old that loves to play, run and just be free.    The teacher's time frame is 20 minutes. Certain activities they do in the various centers/stations, they are to do in 20 minute increments. This particular Pre-K program is learning through play so there is a fair amount of play going on to learn but when its time for things like Circle Time (i.e, reading a book and...
He can which is why I suggested to her to perhaps I come and spend a day in the classroom to assess what may be triggers for him to lose his attention. He doesn't expect a 4 yo to keep his attention very long but long enough to do the task.   I don't see the state as a bad thing per se, but I don't want to jump to that immediately as a resolution instead of exploring if this is just one of the quirks of a busy body 4 year old.