or Connect

Posts by LaFlaca1226

Quote: Originally Posted by swd12422 So how do you encourage your kids to try and share their enthusiasm for learning new things without praise? For me, it's really important to focus on the TRYING part of doing things. I learned in professional development classes as a teacher that one of the biggest differences in children who succeed and those who don't is whether the child attributes their success (or lack thereof) to their own EFFORT, or...
Thanks, mamas. It helps to know that I am not stuck this way forever. Quote: Originally Posted by Banana731 What made you want to? I mean did you actually feel like having sex, or did you do it because you hit the "6 week" mark? I don't know. I just missed doing it, and dh and I were feeling really close, and he was totally in the mood, and I thought, "Let's try it and see how it goes." I think it will be awhile before we try it again. It...
Hugs, mama. My dd just got thrown out of pre-school. Besides not following ANY directions, she was being mean to the other kids. She's only 3, but she just has so much trouble getting along with other kids. I obviously don't have the answers, but it just seems like some kids need to be explicitly taught strategies for dealing with their peers. I know I needed that kind of thing as a kid, and my parents didn't really provide it. I learned by trial and error, but I...
I had a wonderful VBAC 6 weeks ago. I had a tear, but otherwise a pretty "normal" birth. But dh and I just dtd for the first time 2 nights ago and it was so different! Besides the fact that I have very little libido (to be expected w/ hormones and whatnot), my body felt... how can I put this?... not tight enough for me to feel much of anything. Dh said it felt totally normal to him. I have been Kegeling like it's my job ever since that disappointing union. Will...
Hi mama. I'm not sure if I have any answers for you, but I do have a 3yo LO that woke up screaming for many months, and who still does sometimes. This article was posted on a yahoo group I'm part of, and it changed my entire way of thinking about the night screaming. http://www.handinhandparenting.org/n...Children-Sleep It tells about why the night screaming happens and what you can do. Approaching it differently might help it go away, even though at first you...
Thanks, mamas. I have read Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles, but maybe it's time to read it again. She just started pre-school last week, so it's still new, but apparently her refusal to obey is just far more consistent and thorough than what the other students are coming to school with. I am going to have her evaluated by our school district's early intervention program. Hopefully they will check her hearing, as well as evaluate her in terms of social and...
To make a long story short, my 3yo dd is about to get kicked out of pre-school because she won't follow directions. That includes not coming when called, not staying in line, basically not doing anything unless physically forced (and then she tries to pull away when the teacher has her hand). The student / teacher ratio is 8:1, so they've explained to me that they can't give her the amount of one-on-one attention that she's been requiring. (She's also hitting other kids...
Quote: Originally Posted by francesruben I'm interested in how you adapt as your children pick up new ideas from other people. 'Good girl' and 'high fives' don't feel right to me but it is not my intention to deny my daughter true feelings of achievement. My mom also does the "good girl" thing, and it bothers me a lot. What about telling your DD the truth about why you don't like to say "good girl," and telling her why you prefer to use more...
Quote: Originally Posted by jellybeanmumma When we get over giving up the baby is still there Needing us. So well said. And not just with babies. Parenting is one of the only things you can't run away from, even when it all seems hopeless.
I think the OP should calmly say "Mom, I feel disrespected when you buy things that you know I don't approve of for my kids. Yet this Snow White doll seemed to really matter to you - enough that you would buy it twice even though you know it goes against my values." Then just see what Mom has to say. Maybe she'll just pretend she didn't realize (and if she's this cowardly, she probably won't buy anything like that again), or maybe it will open up a dialogue about...