or Connect

Posts by Raven1

We are also unschoolers "at heart" (which means that is the driving philosophy and practice BUT we do some paperwork and "assigned" stuff, mostly math, spelling, writing. But it is by demand of the learner, so imo, it is still unschooling Today, for example; my son got into magnets, and we got out his science encyclopedia and read together about them for a while. He drew in his sketch book for a bit, then we went to the thrift store. He explored the place, and went home...
I also think that ideally, mention should have been made of the mother's wishes in that poll! (Which is why I usually refuse to respond to polls; cut and paste answers which don't fully express/reflect my views I know that after 2 yrs or so, I am getting ready to be done with it (and not just bf, but with the "24/7", always in top demand stuff Of course, older kids are 24/7 as well, but in different ways. I just get ready to have a wee bit more time and space to myself...
IKWYM. Same goes for Drs with us. Hard to find a suitable person. (and by that, I don't mean they must agree with everything we dicide/do/want/don't want, but they must at LEAST respect those decisions and treat us with a certain level of respect as well!) Have you tried doing a serch on-line under something like Holistic dentistry? There are groups out there who offer directories of practicioners. Also, try mercury free dentistry(as many are holistic in general and open...
I agree; justsay you are a nursing mom. If the dentist gets nosy, tell the truth. If he or she offers unsolicited advice, blow it off or simply say, "It works for us, thanks!" IKWYM, though; a while back I had to go in for a case of tonsilitis, needed antibiotics, and mentioned to the old codger of a DR that I was nursing, so whatever I was given had to be safe for that. He asked, "How old?" I told him(18 mths) and he proceded to lecture me on how I should wean right...
We use NFP; I kept charts for over 6 yrs, and am very familiar with my cycles, so much so that I don't really bother keeping them anymore. That and the fact that when bf, temps and mucus signs can be unreliable anyway! I go by experience, and usually use protection before ovulation, and none afterwards. (assuming I get a strong indication it has occurred; if not, we use condoms all month.) There is a stereotype out there that NFP is unrelaible, and I think it is because...
Thanks to all for all the info; I'll have to check it out more! Ultimately, I think all possible health risks aside, I wouldn't feel comfortable with sterlization because, like I said, I would never feel sure that it would be effective! I have heard of so many women who got pg after a tubal, after a vac., of both, and if you are serious enough about not having more children, it just doesn't seem like a very reliable option. I would not have a tubal, myself; abdominal,...
P.S. I should add that after my first, I felt as if I had been run over by a big truck for 4 days or so! I tore quite a bit and had a long, hrd pushing phase. No doubt in my mind that had I been in a hospital, I would have been c-sectioned. Fortunately, I had friends present for a wk to help with the process(those same friends who did indeed make it for the birth, despite predictions Don't know what I would have done otherwise!(as DH had to work during that time) With my...
I'll bite My first child (born at 26 yrs of age, a son, 8'6", 19 in. ) My labor began at 10 am or so; I got up from bed and my water broke. I called the midwife, then my DH, then sat on a towel and hated the feeling of "leaking" My contractions were 5 min. apart from the beginning, but very mild; little twinges I had to concentrate to notice. When Dh got home, we went to the clinic (a Naturopathis clinic and birthing =center) and I got "checked". I was 5 cent. (which I...
Holisticmomma's comment on xrays brought to mind my view on this matter. I am not a fan of xrays, unless, of course, they are indicated for a specific and compelling reason. I myself was subjected to numerous dental xrays(and at least 2 others as a child), and I tend to refuse them at every oppourtunity now (for myself and my children). Obviously, if they had a broken bone, or some serious dental issue which required an inside view, I would allow it, but as a routine...
Smilemomma, I meant no offense by stating that *I* am as biased as *you* on this issue. Simple fact/disclaimer. You ARE biased on this issue; to attempt to deny it is futile. You are, based upon YOUR education and research and no doubt also your pre-existing beliefs, biased in favor of fluoride use as a dentifice. Doesn't make you unprofessional, just Human. I am also biased, based on my research and pre-existing beliefs. We can debate all day long your view that...