or Connect

Posts by Maggie05

To be honest, I can't really understand what you are saying here. "Random person giving a gift is not like a close person who is part of your life and should have an understand of who you are..." I don't know what that means.    Here's the thing. My kids have birthday parties. They invite the class, so as not to make anyone feel left out. The children bring gifts. All these parents have different values, and beliefs and families. Sometimes they bring a gift that I would...
Yes. Yes I am. Afterwards, I will deal with the gun or Bratz doll. But I will teach my children to say thank you, with a smile whenever they are given a gift.
I can't agree with including kids in every conversation.   I have a friend who allows her 10 year old son to sit with us for every visit and participate in the conversation. I'm sorry, but sometimes I want to have girl talk with my friend. Alone. I want to talk about politics without having to explain it to a ten year old or hear his opinion. I want to vent about my husband, or share how my son (his friend) is having a hard time in school. Those topics are not ones...
Both my children nursed for a long time (2 1/2 years for my son, and 5 years for my daughter). I went back to work when they were about one, and did not send breast milk with them. They nursed in the morning, and after school/through the night. Co-sleeping was the answer for me. I mostly slept right through it, although I do remember some nights being frustrated with the frequency of it. All in all, though, I have no regrets, and two very healthy children!
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster All these changes that are being mentioned, make it sound like a less useful tool for assessing academic ability separate from classroom performance. The intention of the SAT is to predict academic success during the first year of college. That is its sole purpose. As such, I think that the colleges who use it have found it to be relatively accurate. Critical reading skills, writing skills, and ability to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dar It's actually 25 minutes, and the quote is a bit of a red herring... tell your students! The point is to write an essay explaining and supporting your point of view of an issue, and the quote is generally related to the issue, but it's more to spark ideas than anything else... and it's fine to ignore it completely as long as you respond to the issue, which will be defined pretty clearly in the directions. Also, your...
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster Analogies are analogies, you don't learn them in school. The math section was mostly intuitive word problems, it didn't have anything like trigonometry or calculus on it. Arithmetic, elementary geometry, and very basic algebra will get one through it no problem. Reading comprehension is mostly about speed, a few tricks like reading the question first than scanning the passage for the answers will get one far. Now...
Quote: Originally Posted by staceychev Sadly, a lot of teachers teach books because they're the only ones available in the book closet. I fought for The Bean Trees for 10th grade in my school because, other than that, we have: 1984, Lord of the Flies, and A Separate Peace. There just isn't that much money to buy new texts every few years. We can buy class sets of one novel each year, and it rotates among all the grades. We're not going to get new texts...
As a high school teacher, I would just add this: It is a personal pet peeve of mine when middle school teachers assign books that are traditionally done on the high school level. Lord of the Flies is one of these books. Lord of the Flies, while not terribly difficult to read, is rich with complex symbolism, and the dark nature of the story is best left to a student at the high school level. There are so many fantastic young adult novels out there, that it boggles my mind...
I was less replying to the extreme example in the OP and more replying to the general complaints in the thread regarding projects and homework.