or Connect

Posts by jenneology

Quote: Originally Posted by MittensKittens If such a thing is possible, motherhood has made me even more of a radical feminist. I was never aware of the numerous issues around reproductive rights, and birth rights in particular. Homebirth, lactivism, the right to personal choice when it comes to vaxing and child rearing in general - those were things that never even hit my radar before, and it was not until I became a mom that I even knew how much work...
Here is a good resource for figuring out if you are traumatized or if you are diagnosable with PTSD: http://healmyptsd.com/education/do-i-have-ptsd A traumatic event is one where a person feels a sense of hopelessness or horror at something that is threatening the life, health or well-being of oneself or someone close to you. In your case, you were definitely afraid for your baby's health in those scary moments. Birth trauma is more common than what is widely...
Laura Shanley's second birth was a breech UC, unexpected if I remember correctly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Karenwith4 Has your level of activism or your expression of it changed since you became a mother? The intensity of my activism has definitely increased as I've become more aware of some of the dangers threatening families. Before becoming a mother, I was advocating for efforts to strengthen and promote emotionally healthy families through family life education. I still feel that is important, but I'm feeling a more...
Congratulations! That is a day that ECing mamas have much cause to celebrate!
A traumatic event is when you feel a sense of hopelessness or horror and a threat to your life or physical body or the life or body of someone else. If you were afraid that you were near death, that certainly is a traumatic experience. One of the most notable trauma researchers states that "trauma is in the eye of the beholder" therefore if you feel that it was traumatic, it was. I find that comparing birth experiences with others is not helpful for accepting the...
We didn't actually end up talking about Heavenly Mother during the "Our Heavenly Family" lesson and I was pretty disappointed. I feel like I should have mentioned it and brought her into the discussion in the lesson before when I felt like it was going to be appropriate. But I looked ahead in the manual and thought it would be more applicable in the next lesson. And then the teacher got switched at the last minute and turned it into a lesson of "how does knowing you are a...
Check out the results at the birthsurvey.com to see what other moms have said about both places. I think there's something that can sell you on the Puget Sound birth center, and that's a documentary that was done about the center. I forget the name of it right now, but I'm sure Sharon knows. I've got a copy of it that you could borrow, but the birth center also gives them away for free. Puget Sound Birth Center is a very popular choice here in the Seattle area....
The bathroom would be my room of choice is ours were bigger and it had a deep spa-like tub. Laboring on the bed with my first was my idea of hell. With my second, I barely moved from a 10 foot radius in our living room but had to go from living room to bathroom frequently (which was up the stairs). I now somewhat think that the walking the stairs in labor helped with positioning and descent, so it was probably a good thing, but really, I would have much preferred a big...
I just hit that too. At Christmas, I was so burnt out of staying home to take care of children all day. I really love the pursuit of education, and working on academic projects and I really miss it. My husband gets to do that and while he's resenting the drudgery of that right now, I miss it and I crave it. I've got applications in for a graduate program starting in fall. Until then I'm trying to plan more for my 3 year old--preschool co-op, daily outings, exploring our...