or Connect

Posts by jenneology

I did go on the tour and found that the schedule works well for my ECE sensibilities. That was my focus of the tour to make sure it wasn't too staff-directed or curriculum heavy. I have the registration application and fee in and the next step is to take the Chunk on the tour to see how he likes it. I told him that I would schedule it as soon as I could. For us, my husband is the German speaker (as a second language) and we don't often get a lot of German in the house....
I've heard from other moms that toddler poop is just gross in general. That its often very soft, unformed and smelly. I experienced that with my son around the time he turned 2. It was unpleasant for us both because he hated having to get his bum practically scrubbed to get the poop off. I started telling him that if he didn't want me to have to wipe his bum so much, then he could put his poop in the potty. He (and I) were much happier when he did that. For awhile, it was...
You may want to use the ASL sign for toilet: signing the letter T and shaking your first. But a word to associate with it other than potty or toilet, I'm not sure. Lavatory? My husband is partial to Toity but I think that's going in the wrong direction for you. You could try a multicultural tactic and use a translation in a different language. But my favorite is Privy. Sailor speak is the Head. And there's also water closet.Others: pot, john, throne
Quote: Originally Posted by jessaroo WHat news sources/publications do you rely on? After my most recent birth I have been trying to find ways to be active in making change within the hospital birthing system. THere is an interesting initiative here: http://www.motherfriendly.org/ This is the organization that I work with! CIMS (the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services) is the parent organization and they are doing a lot of good work....
There is a Meet-up group (on meetup.com) called Birth Matters on the Eastside. Each week one day a week, we have a nighttime chat session where we get to know each other and then have other meetups scheduled through out the week. There is also Seattle area playgroups on Meetup and moms groups.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/...ness-children/ Quote: www.nationalmarriageweekUSA.org National Marriage Week USA seeks to strengthen individual marriages, reduce the divorce rate, and build a stronger marriage culture. If we can accomplish those goals we will also help reduce poverty and strengthen our children. Together we can make more impact than working alone. We want folks across the country to recommit to work on their own marriages, to mobilize...
I started reading this thread and discovered that I guess I can be considered a radical feminist! I didn't know that... but I find myself in agreement and sympathetic to the conversation here. I've recently started exploring feminist thought in relation to my personal crusades of reproductive freedom during childbirth (see my sig) and family policy. It led me to apply to a PhD program in Women's Studies and I'm waiting to see if I get in. I hope I'll find out by the...
Erin, congratulations! That's an accomplishment! I hear you with lingering sickness. I hope everyone gets better and stays better. Sometime, do either you or your husband speak German? In a way, I think a German nanny would be better for a 2 year old than a group setting a couple of days a week. If you are interested in someone, I do know a highly recommended German nanny. You may not need the childcare but what mom doesn't like a little time to herself? SAGA also...
I'm looking to connect with self-identified birth junkies in our tribal area. There is so much that needs to (and can) be done about the sorry state of maternity care. I'd love to share a conversation about how we can coordinate our efforts, what we can do locally, and what worthy projects/groups/networks there are to contribute to. So please, let me know who's out there!
I'll kick it off this month. Welcome to the month of February in Seattle. Will someone please tell the trees, bushes and tulips nearby my house that its a little early for sprouting and blooms? I love to see them but feel so sad when they get blasted away from a late frost. Yet now I'm doubting that a late frost is going to occur. The weather has been truly pleasant lately and for a while now. Also, is there really going to be no snow this winter? I'm sad, I...