or Connect

Posts by Quate

I had to leave my 7 month old for a week. Yes, I did have a very good reason, and no, there wasn't a better solution. It wasn't ideal, but everyone survived just fine. The worst part was pumping full time ... ick. But--my DD went right back to nursing with no issues, other than it took a few days for me to get my supply back up. You still have a month. Can you try sleeping in another room for a few nights and see if your DH can find ways to get your DD back to...
Just curious--for your older breastfeeding children, do you also give cow's milk (or soy, or whatever), or are all their milk-type needs still met through breastmilk? Mine is only 7 mos old, so obviously I'm not giving any other milk, just trying to envision how this works. If you do, did you start at a year, or was there some other criteria you used?
If she's gaining weight appropriately, eliminating appropriately, etc., I'd let her let you know when she's hungry. My experience is that DD does much better with longer naps than with short ones--and that she'll just eat more if she goes longer between feedings. If I offer too soon, she'll get mad and throw a screaming fit, but I get the impression she's not quite normal that way
My body seems to regulate within a few days whenever DD starts sleeping longer stretches. I don't think there's a drop in supply, or else she'd be starving to death by now, considering she now only eats about 5 times a day, but it seems like a drop in supply because I don't feel extra full any more. Btw, do you offer the other side in the morning? DD has just started sleeping through the night ... don't know if she'll keep it up, but in the meantime, she is super...
Is it just that she prefers upright positions to being cradled? My DD has preferred this since birth, essentially. She used to cry when I would try to cradle her, in fact. She always wants to be able to look around. She also likes to have us pull her to sitting and standing positions, for which she'll stiffen her back (she's 3 mos, so obviously she can't do this without help). But I'm not sure if this is what you're describing or something else? She doesn't have a...
If you've been reading on the issue, you've probably heard this already, but what worked wonders for us, and saved my sanity, was: - swaddling. always. (Maybe 4 mos is getting a little old for this, though) - putting baby down tired but awake. Then pat, sing, offer pacifier, whatever to try to soothe. Yes, this did involve crying sometimes, but her falling to sleep on me also involved crying, and I made sure she knew I was there with her to comfort her. If crying...
We roomed in too, with no option of doing otherwise. But--I was totally mystified by this idea that you can tune in to your baby's rhythms and start to feed before they start crying. There must be babies out there for whom this is true, but it wasn't true of my DD until well after we were at home--I'm guessing maybe around a month. Until then, she'd go from sound asleep to crying instantaneously when she was hungry, and she'd make so much noise in her sleep that I kept...
Thanks for the recommendations! I would guess she's 13-14 lbs now--she was over 12 at her last appointment.
and I suspect there's no diapering system on earth that would contain that poop! But if I'm wrong, please tell me about it Right now we just use plain old prefolds w/ snappi and cover, which, when she was a newborn and we had a trial of several different options, was the only system that contained newborn poop for us. ETA: She's 3 mos.
I know what you mean--we're currently just up once a night, but if she sleeps longer than usual, I'm usually lying there awake in bed waiting for her to wake up. So annoying!