or Connect

Posts by lisavark

Here's a good intro to ASL signs that are good for babies: http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm I use the ASL sign for bathroom for both pee and poop, which is a fist with your thumb between your index and second finger that you shake from side to side. (There's a picture at the link.) But my baby is only two weeks old and I've been EC'ing for three days, so I'm no expert! What's PL?
I caught two pees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, so the first one I held her over the sink for a while and nothing happened, so I took her back to the changing table to put her diaper on (I'm using cloth for back-up), and then she peed on the changing table. But the important thing is that I understood the communication!!!!!!!! And THEN...she nursed again and woke up squirmy, so I took her to the sink, and sure enough, she peed! Woo-hoo! I am so excited! Seriously,...
Thanks, that's encouraging! At least I know it's not just me. Caught another poop today, so I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing!
Oh. my. gosh. Just caught another poop. As in the entire thing--no poopy diaper. I am in shock. That is so much less messy! Yay, baby is happy! And DH is impressed! Ok, I will stop replying to my own thread now... Still would love advice on noticing pees...!
So I knew when I was pregnant that I wanted to try EC, but after DD was born it just seemed too challenging for the first week of parenthood. She is now almost three weeks old, and last night when I was changing her diaper after she pooped I noticed that she hadn't peed yet. So I thought, well, why not? --and took her to the sink, and sure enough, we caught a pee! After that I was feeling pretty triumphant, so I decided to make it official and declare myself EC'ing....
It sounds to me like you want a maid more than a doula! Why don't you hire a housecleaning and cooking service for a few days? I feel the same way; I seriously considered hiring a housecleaning service, but I have so many family and neighbors wanting to help out that I'm going to try going with the free service instead... This is our first so we'll see how that goes. Good to hear your perspective on your mom being run ragged, though. I'm going to insist that anyone...
Maybe I'm crazy (I probably should have been a lawyer or something!), but I LOVE it when people quesion my decision to homebirth. It gives me the opportunity to educate them. :-) Of course, it depends on who's asking and what their personality and background is. If it's a friend who's pregnant, I just say that every woman should give birth in the place where she feels most comfortable, and for me that's at home. I've never had a negative reaction to that. But if it's...
Hey everyone, This has probably been discussed many times on this board, but I'm brand new here, so I thought I'd ask. :-) I'm pregnant for the first time and due in February, and since we're planning a home birth with a midwife, we skipped the ultrasound & don't know if it's a boy or girl. However, last night we told my parents for the first time that we won't be circumcising if it's a boy. I really wasn't expecting the reaction I got (many of my friends haven't...