or Connect

Posts by GrowingCrunchy

Hm. I didn't strip first. I guess I figured since I use the same detergent for everything... but I hadn't thought about build up. Sunning wound up working pretty well the other day. Just a few faint marks left! I'll have to keep all that in mind next time. Thanks!
I have a 5.5 year old dd and a 4.5 year old dd, and they are like night and day. The older is reading, writing, adding, subtracting, even multiplying. The younger just doesn't have the same desire. Since they're both at home, I have a feeling hsing has nothing to do with it! I do insist that the younger spend a few minutes each day practicing writing a few letters and numbers, but we mostly work "off paper", talking about science and social studies stuff,...
Quote: Originally Posted by 3momkmb (1) If you can name one major reason for choosing to homeschool, what is it? (2) What is one thing you dislike most about public (or private) school for your child/ren? 1. Individualized education 2. Teaching to memorize vs. teaching how to learn
Next year, we have to make one of our children an "official" homeschooler in PA and I'm *not looking forward to it. It doesn't seem particularly difficult, just a lot of unnecessary paperwork garbage that I wouldn't have to deal with if I lived 40 minutes east, in NJ! We have a ton of homeschool organizations and activities in our area, but they're mostly geared toward kids who are older than mine.
Ooh, lots of stuff to look at! Thank you, guys!
I live in a crazy area with a ton of new home construction, as well as backing to hunting land, so we have a pretty crazy deer population on our property. It's like "base" in a game of tag. They eat EVERYTHING, including plants that are considered deer resistant. We also have a few local bears and bobcats roaming around (though I've never seen them myself...thankfully). Two seasons ago, I grew some tomatoes and herbs on my balcony so they wouldn't be destroyed. Last...
I've been using a pouch sling for ds since he was born. Even though he's tiny for an 8 month old, the pressure on my shoulder/back is just becoming to much. I want to find something that distributes weight better, but I'm SO nervous about my child's safety being dependent on my knot tying abilities! Is there an alternative? Am I just being silly?
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn If you were to describe your experiences of labor and birth in the briefest way possible, just a word or two to a couple sentences, what would you say about them? The mind is even more powerful than the body. Drugs can never replace the efficacy of understanding the process, knowing it's normal, and feeling safe, even in the toughest moments. <------ Had 2 "hard" labors with drugs and 2 "easy"...
1st baby (induced, epidural)- 4 pushes 2nd baby (induced, iv pain med)- 5 pushes and broken collar bone with 9lb 2oz'er. 3rd baby (100% natural)- 4 pushes and a very surprised mw who hadn't believed me 4th baby (mostly natural)- 3 pushes within 10 minutes of being checked at 8cm and 5 minutes of having baby's heart rate plummet. Same mw who caught #3 finally knew what I could do and told me to get that baby out NOW. Ds was born with a double wrapped cord and a true...
We declined everything including cord stump goo without much hassle. My midwife knew our wishes in advance, we told the nurses up front, and everything went just as planned (in that respect), even though I wound up being the only parent present until ds was 15-20 minutes old! (Dh had gone to walk our dogs @@) The only time a question was raised was when the ped came in to do his exam. He "strongly suggested" the cord goo, but didn't push it when I pointed out that ds...