or Connect

Posts by greenemami

I'm sorry you are dealing with this, what a scary situation!  I have not been there, so I don't know exactly what you should do :(   Have you consulted a lawyer?  If you can't afford one, try contacting legal aid near you, they were great for my custody case.  I would definitely ask about getting him drug tested before visitation can occur-he would probably be violating parole as well if he tested positive? Again, I'm not sure how that would work.  Maybe CPS could help...
I understand his hesitation to tell them about the cat dying, because of reminding them of their mom and grandfather dying-I'm sure that will hard :(   However ,I do think that the loss of a cat is very different and it may possibly be good for them to experience and get through this lesser grief to better learn to deal with the emotions.   I also think it is not okay for him to drag it out so long-I know my kids would be getting more and more worked up as the days go...
I'm a single homeschooling mom as well, but I'm also lucky enough to work at home around my kids schedule, so I work mostly nights and weekends as well.  I think you could totally make it work since your schedule keeps you at home most days.    I won't lie, it's a little overwhelming at times trying to plan school, plus work, plus get everyday life done + I have a 3-year-old as well.  I considered putting dd into school when ex and I separated, but I just couldn't do it,...
This was my first thought as well, especially since you are trying to change an existing custody order (which I understand is significantly more difficult).  However, I do not have personal experience with this.  Your son is the 1-year-old in your sig-so you have several years to go before school?  Perhaps apply for SSI for him (when you have custody) and look for employment that you can do mostly around the custody schedule? Also perhaps try to find out if there are...
I don't see where the ex is asking for a phone call though- it's one thing if she is refusing to let him talk on the phone and another if he doesn't have Skype and doesn't bother saying so or asking for an alternative!   And for a younger kid, Skype is much better so that the child can see dad-most kids have a pretty short attention span for phone calls.  Even my almost 7-year-old will only talk for a few minutes before losing interest.    As far as whether you have to...
Thanks all!   After some more thought, I think I'm going to put the bulk of it in savings.  Since my credit is so bad, I have no way to borrow money if something major happened, so I'll just feel better knowing that I have a cushion.  It's been a stressful few months financially since I moved out of ex's house and I have really been barely scraping by-I'm looking forward way too much to having some money in the bank again-now the challenge of keeping it there!   I...
My son is almost 4 and sounds similar to yours-I think I have blocked out a good portion of is toddler years because it was so stressful :) He has definitely gotten "easier" as he's gotten older, but still drives his older sister and I crazy at times and will walk around the house literally dumping everything in his path, will throw food all over the floor just for "fun," will tackle his sister with no warning, close the laptop lid, grab papers out of hand, etc. while she...
 This is not true in all states though-in PA, until I had a custody order stating otherwise, ex and I did have equal rights to our children even though we were never married, because he signed the birth certificate.  So technically, ex or I could have kept the children from the other parent without facing legal consequences (other than looking bad later in court, presumably)  It doesn't sound like this dad is likely to do that, and I'm glad to see that in Oregon, he...
Yes-that is totally true! My ex has the kids barely 20% of the time and I still have waaay more free time now than I did when we were together.   I still do the day to day stuff when they are with me of course (and I do think it is important that kids see and participate in cleaning and errands) but I try to get heavier cleaning, extra work hours, etc. in while they are at dads so I have a little more time to relax with them.   I also make more of an effort now to be a...
I was under the impression that once you had established residency (usually 6 months), you should file in your current state, especially since there is no custody agreement in Oregon already.  It would make it much easier for you so you don't have to go back and forth.  I would definitely ask your lawyer about this.