or Connect

Posts by greenemami

I assume your ds understands why he is staying longer and is okay with it? If so, then I would just call him on his bday and then celebrate when he is back with you however you would have done the celebration if he had been with you on his bday. We alternate bdays with dsd's mom, so we always have separate celebrations-dsd loves it, bc she often gets 3-4 bday celebrations/cakes between immediate family and extended family on both sides
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeannine Yes! Exactly. lol maybe they are smarter than we give them credit for
We do something similar, we let dsd pick a few things that are "special toys" that dd is absolutely not allowed to play with, and really enforce it and encourage dsd to keep those somewhere safe when not in use. Dd will be allowed to do the same when she wants to-well, she actually has a special doll now that dsd still plays with all the time, lol, since dd isn't really old enough to get upset by it yet. I wish our house was big enough to do all the toys in one area,...
I am waiting to hear the answers to this one! My dsd is 8 and my dd is 2, so it is a bit of a different dynamic, but same kind of issue-dsd is more than happy to use dd's things, go into her room to play, take books off her shelf, etc., which is absolutely fine, dd generally doesn't care (beyond 2-year-old possessiveness) doesn't really know the difference yet, and I think it is great that things are "everybody's. Except, that dsd does NOT like dd to be in her room, gets...
At first, dsd called my parents and siblings by their first names. Once dd was born she picked up on the grandparent and aunt/uncle titles and uses them almost exclusively now. I didn't really push it but she seemed to get a kick out of it at first and I think it makes her feel more included in that side of the family. Plus, I do like that dd doesn't get confused about their names. She calls her stepdad's family by their family titles as well. I think it is not...
My dd is still two, but it sounds like maybe it is just a phase where he prefers you and/or is fighting for independence? Of course, compounded by the fact that dp is fairly new in his life and perhaps some confusion over who his "dad" is, since he only sees his bio father rarely? I think it is common for kids to prefer mom or dad for no apparent reason in some stages in "intact" families. Has he started acting out against dp at other times or just bedtime? Has he...
I think the ultimate point here is that it is really hard to be an NCP who doesn't get to make many of the decisions in their child's life, and even harder to be the partner of the NCP (stepmother/father) who has even LESS say.
Do they have separate rooms? My kids are 6 years apart, but they go to bed at the same time Anyway, the 8 year old is allowed to stay up and read and dad usually hangs out in there with her reading or snuggling or chatting or whatever while I get the little one to bed. Could you possibly get the other kids to bed and then go hang out in his room if he is still awake, play a game or just read in bed together? Also, if he is happy reading for a couple of hours (and it...
I agree that you have the right to share your opinion-my dsd goes to church with her mom's family, and has come over saying things about how it is right to believe in only that one god, etc., and I felt comfortable explaining that some people believe in one god, some believe in others/many, etc. I explained what I thought, but focused mainly on the fact that there are many different beliefs. I think it is perfectly fine for you to say what you believe in a...
I would check on the legality of that, since you and your dp would be doing it knowing that he is not the biological father. It sounds like the father of your baby does not want to give up rights, and therefore it may be that he could make a lot of trouble for you if he took it into his head to go through the court system and prove that, not only is he the bio father, but that you and your dp knowningly played the system to make it harder for him to see his child. Now, I...